Funeral Mr. J.R. BIGLANDS


   There was an exceptionally large gathering at the  funeral of Mr. J. R.
BIGLANDS, which took place at St. Kentigern's Parish  Churchyard, Aspatria, on
Sunday afternoon. Deceased who was only 34 years of  age, was a very popular
young man. For many years he worked for the Bothel  Limestone Quarry Co., as a
motor driver, but latterly had been working and  residing in the Brampton
district. He was married to a daughter of Mr. and Mrs.  ATKINSON, late Howrigg
Farm, Westnewton, but at present living in Carlisle. Much  sympathy is extended
to his young widow.

   The Rev. A. H. HODSON took the service and the  hymns "Rock of Ages" and
"Thy will be done" were feelingly sung by the  congregation. Miss. COBB
presided at the organ. Amongst the floral tributes  were:

>From his sorrowing wife; sisters and brother-in-laws; father-in-law,
mother-in-law and Lizzie.

Auntie Jennie

Tom, Lily and family, Coledale Farm

Jack and Mary, Grisndale; Annie

Cynthia and Ruth, The Keep, Brampton

Margaret and Roland

John and Margaret, Solway View


Edith and Jack and Jessie and Jack, Allerby

Mr. and Mrs. CLARK, Gilcrux

Mr. and Mrs. NICHOLSON, Bothel

Mr. and Mrs. KENLEY and family, East Mill, Aspatria

His dear friends at Myrtle Cottage, Bothel, Heathfield and Langrigg

Mr. and Mrs. PAPPS, Brampton

Fellow workers at Kirkhouse, Brampton

Men and Women's Sections Bothel and Torpenhow Branch British Legion

Employees of the Bothel Lime and limestone Co., Ltd.

Sudden Death - TALLENTIRE


Mr. J. W. TALLENTIRE, Harrington.

   Mr. J. W. TALLENTIRE, a joiner at the local  ironworks and a well known
football official died suddenly at his home 2, Rose  Hill, Harrington on
Saturday. He was in his 62nd year.

   On Saturday morning, Mr. TALLENTIRE left home to  follow his occupation
as a joiner. He returned home at eleven o'clock, however,  and said he was not
feeling so well. He went to bed and about 1-30 his daughter,  who was going
away to Keswick, went upstairs to see him and he then said he was  a lot better
and would be at work on Monday morning. His wife went to the town  to see his
daughter off, and when she returned home about 2 p.m. she found her  husband
unconscious. Dr. CULLEN was called in but Mr. TALLENTIRE had passed  away.

   The matter was reported to the Coroner but an  inquest was not deemed
necessary. It is understood that heart failure was the  cause of death. Mr.
TALLENTIRE leaves a widow and a son and daughter. He  belonged to an old Harrington
family. For many years he was employed by the late  Mr. Hodgson SIMON, joiner
and undertaker, whose business is still carried on by  the eldest son, Mr.
Harry SIMON. He was the respected member of the  Egremont  and Whitehaven
Football League Management Committee, being  elected season after season and his
position will be difficult to fill. Mr.  TALLENTIRE took a keen interest in the
Harrington Y. M. C. A., and was secretary  of the Harrington Lodge of the

Bootle Nursing Assoc


   Bootle. Waberthwaite, Corney and Whitbeck Nursing  Association will
benefit from the sale and whist drive (arranged by the  committee) which took place
in Captain SHAW's School, Bootle on Friday. Mrs. W.  L. THOMAS and Mrs. R. S.
BROWN were the attendants at the rummage stall, and  Misses MARKHAM and E.
GRICE officiated in a similar capacity at the new stall,  while Miss SHAW  had
charge of the bran tub.

   Refreshments were served by Mesdames:




Miss. M. LEECE

   and special competitions were won by:




   In the evening the rev. W. L. THOMAS conducted the  whist drive. Over 50
players competed, the prizes being presented by Mr. W. L.  THOMAS to the

Ladies 1: Mrs. G. PARK

2: Miss. M. WOOD


booby: Mrs. J. WOOD

Gentlemen: 1. Mr. H. IRVING

2 and 3 Mr. T. BARWISE and Mr. W. PENNINGTON

Booby: Mr. C. DALZELL

A special prize was won by Miss. DICKINSON.

Moresby Sportsman



   Mr. J. W. MAXWELL, the Moresby Schoolmaster, who is  leaving the district
for his native East Coast, to settle at Roker, Sunderland,  is a prominent
personality in Cumberland sport, notably Rugby Union. He helped  to founf the
now powerful Moresby R. U. club and since then has been Chairman  and County R.
U. Representative. His son Jack captained Moresby for two seasons  and is now
assisting Furness.

   Coming to Cumberland more than thirty years ago,  Mr. MAXWELL was
conspicuous as a soccer player about 1900. He was responsible  for organising the
well remembered Moresby schoolboy team that won the  Whitehaven Schools Cup
competition for six years in succession from season  1904.

   Apart from his sporting activities, Mr. MAXWELL has  taken a keen
interest in local public life. For thirty years he has served on  the Parish Council
and he has been the chairman for sixteen years. There is a  presentation to
him to-night (Wednesday).

***There is a picture of Mr. J. W. MAXWELL if anyone is interested let me

Prison - Frizington Miner


    "Playing With The Case."

   Arrested on a warrant for arrears under an  affiliation order, Frank
McDONALD (33), of 60, Yeathouse Road, Frizington, was  committed to prison for one
month by the Whitehaven Justices on Monday.

   Complainant, Abigail McCOURT, of 57, Yeathouse  Road, said defendant paid
nothing since the order was made, and now owed her £7  1s 9d.

   McDONALD, who failed to appear last week, told Mr.  H. BRAITHWAITE (for
complainant) that he really meant to keep his promise to  pay, but the girl's
mother had insulted his sister, and until they learned to be  different towards
his family he would be a bit different, too.

   Mr. BRATITHWAITE: You have made up your mind you  won't pay, is that it?
- No. I'll apply to the Labour Exchange for the child's  money this week.

   The Chairman (Mr. R. JEFFERSON): You are playing  with the case, and we
are not going to have your excuses any longer, on this  amount, at any rate.
You will go to prison for a month.