At the Workington Police-court, on Tuesday, Alexander GLEN was charged with  
assaulting Police-constable DOWTHWAITE in the execution of his duty, on the
16th  of October last, at Workington. -  Prisoner was defended by Mr. J.W.  
PLUMMER, of Cockermouth, for Mr. PAISLEY. -  Police-constable DOWTHWAITE  deposed:
 On Monday, the 16th of October, I was on duty in  Senhouse-street.  Went to
a house where a chimney was on fire, to make  inquiries.  On coming out I
crossed over the street.  At this time I  observed four men standing, three on the
footpath and one in the vennel, on the  same side of the street as that to
which I crossed.  Before getting to them  I heard one of the four men make use
of the expression, "Here's the bloody  ----."  When I got down to them, the
prisoner threw himself against  me.  I turned round and asked him what he meant,
when James M'CULLOCH  lifted his hand, and struck me in the face with his
fist.  I closed with  M'CULLOCH for the purpose of taking him into custody, when
the prisoner and the  other two men rushed on the top of me.  I tripped
M'CULLOCH up and we  fell.  At this time I saw the prisoner kick me on the left side
and the  thigh.  Again got on my feet, when the four men commenced kicking me
on the  back of the legs, which again knocked me down.  All this time the
prisoner  and the other three men were striking at me.  With the help of some
females  I again got on my feet, when the prisoner stepped up and struck me on the
chest  with his fist.  Saw no more of the prisoner after that.  I was struck  
by all the four men.  I was also kicked, and was off duty three weeks,  
besides doing reserve duty in the office. -  Tamar GALLANTRY, widow,  said:  I was
in Senhouse-street, at Mrs. HOLMES's, a little before five  o'clock, on the
16th inst.  Margaret BLAKELEY was with me.  The alarm  that a chimney was on
fire brought us to the door, when I saw five men coming up  Senhouse-street.  I
did not know the men;  they were going towards  Hyde-street, where they went
into an entrance.  The man M'CULLOCH had a  pigeon in his hand as they came out
of Hyde-street.  The man crossed the  road.  Three of them stood against the
wall, and two on the side, with  their feet against the Kerb.  I saw a
policeman come out of the house where  the fire was and cross over the road.  As the
policeman passed the prisoner  he gave the constable a "large shove."  I heard
threatening words, but  could not tell what they were.  The policeman, after
being shoved, turned  to say something, and M'CULLOCH went up to the officer,
and said something,  striking the policeman in the face.  Four of the men then
started on the  policeman, and struck at him with their fists, and I saw the
prisoner kick the  policeman.  The policeman was then tripped up, and he fell,
and all the  four were on to him, both kicking and striking him.  This was the
second  time he fell.  After he was tripped up the first time, the policeman
tried  to get his whistle out, and the prisoner snatched it from him.  I
picked it  up and gave it to the policeman.  A few of us tried to get the policeman
 away, and just as we got him up prisoner gave the policeman another "bat" on
the  chest with his fist.  We got the officer into Mrs. BROWN's shop.  The  
policeman complained very much of being hurt, and the blood was coming out of  
his mouth and nose from the kicks and he had got and with struggling.  He  
appeared to be very weak.  We left him in Mrs. BROWN's shop.  -   Margaret
BLAKELEY, wife of David BLAKELEY, engine-fitter, corroborated the  evidence of the
previous witness.  -  Other witnesses having been  examined the prisoner was
formally charged and in reply said:  I did  nothing, but as I was coming up the
street I staggered against the  policeman.  I reserve my defence.  -  He was
committed to take  his trial at the ensuing sessions.  Bail was taken in two
sureties of £30  each, and himself in the sum of £60.