John M'GUINNESS, 25, collier, Whitehaven, was charged with being drunk
and disorderly and assaulting P. C. FOSTER while the execution of his duty at
Whitehaven on December 25th.

       P. C. FOSTER said that at 3-20 a.m. on the 25th ult. he was on duty in
Bardy Lane. Defendant was drunk and there was a disturbance going on.
Defendant had his children out in their night dresses and witness spoke to him, telling him ought not to have his children out at that time in the morning. M'GUINNESS then came up to witness and used very bad language. He took his jacket off and said he was going to kill witness, and afterwards struck him a violent blow in the eye, knocking him to the ground. When witness recovered defendant had been taken into a house up the steps.

       Defendant admitted each charge and was fined 10s for the first offence
and 30s for assaulting the police, the alternative penalty being seven days'
and a months imprisonment.



       Charles TUBMAN, 21, labourer, Cleator Moor, was charged with being
drunk whilst having charge of a horse and cart at Whitehaven on December 17th.

       Defendant did not appear and Supt. KELLY asked for a warrant.



       William BROWN, 35, collier, Parton, was charged with being drunk and
refusing to quit licensed premises at Whitehaven on December 26th.

       Inspector SANDERSON proved the case and defendant was fined 15s.


       Henry FOX, 48, collier, Whitehaven, was charged with having discharged
a gun on the highway on December 25th.

       P. C. BEWSHER said he was on duty on Bransty on December 25th, about a
quarter to four o'clock, when he heard the report of a gun. On looking in the
direction of Bransty Hospital he saw some smoke and then observed defendant
and another man. Witness went towards them and as soon as defendant saw him he took a gun, which he was carrying, into two pieces and put it into his pocket.

       When charged with firing a gun on the public highway defendant
replied, "I fired the gun and have done so many a time before and was never
interfered with, as this is not a public place."

       On passing Mr. FARRIES' byre defendant said Mr. FARRIES had made a
complaint or he (defendant) would never have been caught. The place where
defendant fired was a highway and there were people passing along at the time.

       The chairman, Mr. FOX: Had you any complaint from the people about?


       Defendant said he had liberty to go into the fields on Bransty.

       The chairman said defendant appeared to have fired the gun under the
impression that the road was not a highway and in consideration of that the
Bench ordered him to pay the costs, which amounted to three shillings.



       Isaac MAWSON, 63, farmer, Grange, Egremont, was charged with
improperly conveying six fowls in a cart at Whitehaven on December 19th.

       Inspector BUCKINGHAM, R. S. P. C. A., stated that on the 19th ult. he
saw a lad named GRAHAM going into Whitehaven market with a load of poultry.
The cart was loosely covered with a net and in the corner of the cart witness
found a basket containing six fowls. He took the basket out of the cart and
found that two of the fowls were dead, and on removing the others he saw that
their mouths were open, and that they were quite exhausted. If they had been
allowed to remain in the basket much longer they would have been suffocated. It was an old basket and it had been placed in a bag.

       Witness ascertained that the fowls belonged to the defendant, and he
afterwards saw him. He admitted packing the basket that morning and sending it
to the market with the lad. He said there was no bottom in the basket and he
had put it in the bag to keep the poultry together. Witness reminded him that
the bag was a thick one and the poultry got very poor ventilation. Defendant
said he was very sorry.

       Defendant told the Bench that he had sent fowls several times in the
same way and they had taken no harm. He should have been very sorry to have put them in if he had thought they would have taken any harm.

       The basket and bag were produced. The Chairman, Mr. FOX said defendant
could hardly expect the fowls to arrive alive in Whitehaven when they were
sent like that.

       Defendant repeated that he had sent them before, and they had taken no

       The chairman said he did not suppose defendant was intentionally
cruel, but he was very foolish to send the fowls in that way. He would be fined 10s.



       William DALTON, 44, farm bailiff, Ingwell, was charged with furiously
driving a horse and cart at Whitehaven on December 21st.

       Mr. CHAPMAN appeared for the defendant.

       Sergt. DOWTHWAITE said at twenty minutes to nine on Saturday night he
was on duty in Duke Street in company with P.C. COULSTON when he saw a horse
and spring cart driven by the defendant out of Tangier Street at a furious
rate. He put up his hand and shouted to the defendant to take time. Defendant took no notice but drove on at the same speed across Duke Street to the end of
King Street, which at that time was a solid mass of people. The result was that a man named Robert KNOX was caught either by the horse or the shaft and knocked down.

       Witness ran to the place and got hold of the animal's head and asked
defendant to get out of the cart. When charged with furiously driving defendant replied, "No, you cannot do that because I have no whip." Defendant then got out of the cart and witness led the horse up Duke Street until a friend of defendant's came and said he would go with him. Defendant said mare was bad to hold in.

       Cross examined by Mr. CHAPMAN: He didn't lead the animal because it
was hard to hold in but because there was an angry crowd in the neighbourhood
and he wanted to prevent a repetition of what he had seen. Any sensible person would not have driven into a crowd the way defendant did.

       P. C. COULSTON and Inspector BUCKINGHAM (R. S. P. C. A.) gave
corroborative evidence.

       Robert KNOX said that while he was standing at the corner of King
Street on Saturday night at 8-30 he was knocked down by a horse. He did not see it before it knocked him down. He was standing with one foot on the pavement and the other on the road. He got up and got hold of the horse and stopped it.

       Mr. CHAPMAN said he had been asked by defendant's employer, Mr. Jonas
LINDOW, to defend in this case. Defendant had been a tenant of Mr. LINDOW's
for many years and he had driven for him now for nearly two years. He had over thirty years experience as a driver and had never before had such a charge
brought against him. He, Mr. CHAPMAN contended that there was no furious driving but that the mare was restive and pointed out that twelve months ago it ran away from practically the same place.

       Defendant gave evidence, stating that the wheel caught the kerbstone
and thereupon the mare made a bolt. He pulled to the left close to the
kerbstone otherwise he should have caught the officers who were standing in the road. The cart then gave a jerk and the mare bolted towards King Street.

       The Bench imposed a fine of 20s including costs.




       Frederick Dennison ELLIS, 20, labourer, and Alice DUDLEY, 20, single,
no fixed abode, were charged with stealing a purse and 2s 11 1/2d, at
Whitehaven, on December 31st.

       Margaret KELLY, wife of Mr. John KELLY, collier, Dean's Court,
Whitehaven, said prisoners' came to her house last Tuesday evening between six and seven o'clock. They wanted to know if they could stay for the night but witness told them that she only had one bed. She made tea for the prisoners and the male prisoner went out with her husband. Witness had placed her purse on the table. The purse contained two shillings and a sixpenny piece, and some coppers. She went out to fill the kettle and after she came back the female prisoner left with the man, who had then returned.

       By the Clerk: She missed her purse before the man returned. She did
not say anything to the female prisoner then but she followed her after she went down the passage.

       In reply to the Clerk the female prisoner said she never saw the
money. She asked Mrs. KELLY to search her but she would not.

       ELLIS: I want to know what I am here for. I didn't receive the money
and didn't know where the purse was lying.

       Witness stated that ELLIS told them that he had no money on him.

       The female prisoner repeated that she asked Mrs. KELLY to search her.

       Witness: Yes, she did, but that was above half and hour after they
left my house, and that was in the lodging house in Ribton Lane. The man then had one and sixpence on him although he had previously stated that he had

        William John KELLY, husband of the last witness, said he met the male
prisoner on Christmas Eve in the Golden Lion. He had some drink with him.
ELLIS told witness the woman was his wife. He heard ELLIS say that he had no
money and they would have to sleep behind the dyke.

       The Clerk (to the male prisoner): You stated on Tuesday that you had
no money at all?

       ELLIS: Yes, I said I had no money but I had some (laughter).

       P. C. DEWHURST deposed that he apprehended prisoners at BURNS' Lodging
House on Tuesday night. He searched the male prisoner and found 3s 8 1/2d. in
his possession. There were two separate shillings, two sixpenny pieces and
eightpence halfpenny in copper. When he charged prisoners they both replied "All right." He found the money in ELLIS' hip pocket. He did not find a purse.

       Supt. KELLY stated that about half past seven on Tuesday night the
male prisoner came to the Police Station. He said he had come to report his loss, that he had lost his purse and two railway tickets at Carlisle that morning and that he was destitute. Witness asked him if he had reported his loss to the Police at Carlisle and he said that he had. He questioned him about the two tickets and prisoner said they were tickets for Portsmouth and he had got them at Carlisle that morning about ten o'clock, having them arrived at Edinburgh. Prisoner said he had lost the tickets at the station. Witness asked him where he had been at Dundee from Portsmouth for a week. Asked if he had anyone with him, prisoner said he had his wife. Witness said it was a strange thing that prisoner should come to Whitehaven to get to Portsmouth; it was a long way round, but prisoner replied that he had a friend in Whitehaven and that he had walked from Carlisle that morning. He said his friend was outside the Police Station and witness told him to bring him in. He then brought in the prosecutor.

       Witness asked KELLY if he had seen ELLIS before and he replied he had
only seen him a week ago. He questioned the prisoner, but did not get very
satisfactory answers from him. He wanted witness to assist him to get to Glasgow and said he was a discharged soldier. The female prisoner was searched when brought to the Police Station, but nothing was found upon her.

       The Chairman said the Bench were of opinion that this was a very
suspicious case, but they did not think the evidence sufficient to justify a
conviction, and they would be discharged.



       Henry CORDIS, 37, ship's fireman, Whitehaven, was charged with an
aggravated assault upon his wife "in view of Constable MILES at Whitehaven at 5 p.m. on January 4th.

       Supt. KELLY said Constable MILES was not present and he asked for an
adjournment until Thursday. He admitted defendant to bail in his own

       Mr. BROCKBANK asked defendant if he had anything to say against a

       Defendant said he had to work to look after and business to do, and
would like to get it settled as soon as possible.

       Mr. BROCKBANK said defendant was locked up at the instance of the
Police and the Constable who had to give evidence had to be at Carlisle that day. It only occurred on Saturday and that was not very long since.

       Defendant said it was doing him a lot of harm. He had to be at
Maryport and it was costing him a lot of money for railway fees.

       The Bench granted a remand.



       Jane CLARK, 37, laundress, no fixed residence, was charged with
begging in Whitehaven, at ten p.m. on the 2nd inst.

       Defendant did not appear.

       Supt. KELLY said the accused was apprehended on Thursday and was
admitted to bail on Thursday evening. He believed she had left the town.



       At Workington Police Court on Friday, before H. BOWES, Esq., and E. A.
THOMPSON, Esq., Mary Jane BELL, 40, married woman, Stainburn, was charged
with begging alms in Pearson Street, Workington, on the 2nd inst.

       P. C. NICHOL proved the offence, which occurred at 7-40 p.m. She had a
bag full and a basket full of bread.

       Prisoner was discharged with a caution.

       At Workington Police Court on Monday, John LITTLE, 18, labourer, of no
fixed abode, who during the last 16 months has spent half of the period in
gaol on convictions for theft, was brought up in custody charged with stealing a quantity of cigars and cigarettes, of the value of 5s, the property of
William HILL, showman, from the Fairfield, Workington, on the 3rd inst.

       Superintendent HOPE stated that the goods were left on a stall in the
Fairfield. Prisoner was suspected and the cigars and cigarettes were found
this morning in a cabin in Bankfield, where LITTLE was known to have slept. He applied for a remand until Wednesday. The application was granted.


       Isaac WILKINSON, 33, labourer, who had only come out of gaol a few
days ago, and who has previously been convicted on many occasions of larcenies,
and Henry THOMPSON, 31, labourer, Workington, were charged with stealing an
overcoat, value 4s 11d, the property of the Bankrupt Stock Company, and a number of scarfs, the property of  A. D. HOLLIDAY, hosier, Wilson Street, Workington, on the 4th inst.

       Superintendent HOPE having explained that a considerable portion of
the property was found in the prisoner's possession on Saturday night, applied for a remand until Wednesday, and his request was granted.



       At Cockermouth Police Court on Monday, three youths named John
CUTHBERTSON, George REYNOLDS, and Thomas MOORE, Broughton Cross, were charged with obstructing the highway on December 25th.

       P. C. SCOTT stated that on Christmas Eve he saw the lads standing at
FEARON's Gate at the Greysouthen road end. They had taken the gate off, and on going further up the road he found that six gates had been removed. One was on the road, one on the other side of the ditch, and one was on top of the

       Colonel SEWELL thought this sort of thing among lads had disappeared
long ago. Where was the joke? It was a most contemptible thing. They would each be fined 15s  6d, including costs, or in default a fortnight's imprisonment.