Saturday 16 Sep 1843   (p. 3, col. 6)



In this city, on the 7th inst., Mrs. IREDALE, of a son.

On the 9th Sept., the wife of the Rev. A. F. SHAWYER, of Allonby House School, near Maryport, of a son.

Thomas HART, beerseller, Halliwell, near Leeds, christened his twenty-ninth child last week. Of that number twenty-five are still alive.



At St. Mary's, on the 9th instant, Mr. Alexander HANNAH, cotton spinner, to Miss Mary PEET, both of Botchergate; and on the 13th inst., Mrs. [sic] Thomas VAUGHAN, clerk, to Miss Mary James MACLAIN, milliner, both Botchergate.

At the Presbyterian Chapel, Fisher-street, on the 12th inst., by the Rev. R. HUNTER, Mr. Thos. HARKNESS, of Mitchellslacks, parish of Closeburn, Dumfries-shire, to Alison, second daughter of Mr. IRVINE, Eden-street, Carlisle.

At Great Orton, on Thursday the 7th inst., Mr. John Jefferson HODGSON, of Flat, to Frances, only daughter of Mr. Joseph COLLINS, of Great Orton.

At Arthuret Church, on the 5th inst., Mr. Thomas HOLIDAY, of Bogbushknow, to Miss Nancy FORSTER, of Hall Burn, near Longtown.

At Egremont, on Sunday last, Mr. John WILSON, of Whitehaven, blacksmith, to Miss Agnes WOODBURN, of Egremont, dress-maker.

At Frodsham, Cheshire, on the 30th ultimo, Daniel ASHLEY, Esq., solicitor of that place, to Isabella, daughter of Mr. Henry CADDY, of Bookwell, Egremont, yeoman, and grand-daughter of Mr. BORROWDALE, of Frodsham.

At Saint Bees, Whitehaven, on Saturday last, Mr. John SUART, police officer, to Mary, eldest daughter of Mr. John FREARS, gamekeeper to the Earl of Lonsdale, at Whitehaven Castle.

At Bath, on the 9th inst., Mr. PRODDOW, hosier, Whitehaven, to Miss EVILE, of Bath.

At Moresby, on Tuesday the 5th instant, the Rev. Fletcher WOODHOUSE, A.M., rector of Moresby, to Mary Sybella, youngest daughter of the late Joseph WHEELWRIGHT, Esq., of Stamford Hill.

At Tynemouth, on the 7th inst., by the Rev. S. REED, vicar, Mr. Jno. M'KANE, draper, of Hexham, to Miss Eliz. Esther, second daughter of Captain Geo. GREIGS, of North Shields.

At Lancaster, on Tuesday week, Thomas, second son of the late Mr. Robert BRADSHAW, to Isabella, eldest daughter of Mr. BUSH, spirit merchant.

At Buckingham, the Rev. James LONG, rector of Maidsmoreton, to Miss Jane HOBBS, of Buckingham. The bridegroom is nearly 80 years of age; the bride was, eight days before, "maid of all work" and 22 years of age. The wedding party went off by the Birmingham railway on a honeymoon excursion.



At the Irish Damside, on Wednesday last, Elizabeth DAVIDSON, daughter of the late Mr. Robert DAVIDSON, aged 54 years; much respected.

At St. Mary's Workhouse, on the 11th inst., Mrs. Elizabeth MOOR, aged 91 years.

In the Willow Holme, on the 11th instant, Joseph PARKER, aged 17 years.

In Crosby Street, on the 14th instant, Mr. James WALKER, aged 77 years.

At Dalston, on the 11th instant, Mr. Thomas BEATTIE, aged 55 years, after a lingering illness,—much and deservedly respected by all who knew him.

At Thrustonfield, on the 26th ult., Ann, relict of the late John STORDY, of that place, aged 80 years; one the Society of Friends.

At Todhills, parish of Rockliff, on Sunday last, Mrs. Elizabeth ROSEBURGH, aged 53 years.

At Kirklinton, in this county, on the 5th inst., after a long and painful affliction, the Rev. Joseph Holliday DALTON, A.B., in the prime of life.

At Brampton, on the 10th inst., Mary, the wife of Mr. Wm. PEARSON, in the 39th year of her age.

At Penrith, on the 12th inst., Mrs. Mary BROWN, aged 58 years; on the 13th, Ann, daughter of Mr. James ATKINSON, tea-dealer, aged 18 months; on the 14th, Ann SANDERSON, of the Poor-house, aged 60 years.

At Alston, on the 10th inst., Mrs. Elizabeth WHITFIELD, aged 62 years.

At Kiskin, near Bootle, on Sunday week, Mr. Henry BENN, yeoman, aged 81 years, much respected.

At Cockermouth, on the 6th inst., Miss Mary VICKERS, dress maker, aged 43 years.

At Workington, lately, Isabella, relict of the late Henry HEAD, Esq., formerly of the Customs, aged 75; and Mrs. Martha GUY, aged 92 years.

At his Lodgings, in Oxford, on the 6th inst., the Rev. Anthony GRAYSON, D.D., Principal of St. Edmund Hall, Vicar of Bramley, Hants, and formerly Fellow of Queen's College, in the University of Oxford. Dr. GRAYSON took his degree of M.A. April 15, 1801; B.D. March 5, 1824; and D.D. March 11, 1824, when he was elected Principal of St. Edmund Hall. He was a native of Whitehaven, in this county, and in the 71st year of his age.

At Antigua, on the 18th June, John, son of Mr. Wm. GRACIE, corn-merchant, Castle Douglas, Scotland, aged 18 years. The deceased was an apprentice on board of the brig Campbell, of Whitehaven, and when getting on shore unfortunately got a piece of wood into his foot, which brought on lock jaw, and caused his death.

At Birmingham, on Friday the 8th inst., in the 58th year of his age, Mr. William CRAMPTON, formerly of Keswick.

At Whitehaven since our last, Mr. Wm. HENNELL, mariner, in his 37th year; Mrs. Mary STOCK, late matron in the Infirmary, aged 62; Mr. Nathaniel BROWNE, draper, aged 28; Mary, wife of Mr. David GRAHAM, aged 46; on the 6th inst., after a tedious illness, Thomas, son of Mrs. Mary HUTCHINSON, widow, aged 12 years.

At Gale Hows, on Wednesday week, Mrs. Alice WADESON, sister-in-law to Mrs. HERD, King's Head Inn, Appleby, aged 84 years.

At Portsmouth, on the 10th instant, after a few days illness, and in the prime of life, J. MARTELL, Esq., surgeon,—universally lamented.

At Dundee, on the 28th ult., Mr. David HILL, junior, Editor of the Dundee Courier.

At Laporte, Indiana State, U.S., in July last, Grace, eldest daughter of Mr. James GRIERSON, farmer, formerly of Ruthwell, but now a settler in Indiana State.

At Antigua, on the 18th July last, after two days' illness, Mr. William PATERSON, youngest son of the Rev. Henry PATERSON, Gateside, Wamphray.

On the 8th inst., at the house of her nephew, Mr. James UNDERWOOD, draper and tea-dealer, Warwick, where she had gone for the benefit of her health, Mrs. HENDERSON, of Shillahill, Lockerby, relict of Capt. HENDERSON, of the H.E.I.C.S., aged 39. She was seized with illness a few days after her arrival in Warwick, and after six weeks severe suffering, died in the prime of life, to the inexpressible grief of her numerous relatives.