Saturday 18 May 1839   (p. 3, col. 7)
At St. Cuthbert's, on the 12th instant, Mr. John IVISON, to Miss Mary MARTIN.
At Mary's, on the 15th instant, Mr. James TINNING, to Miss Hannah BLAYLOCK.
At Cumrew, on Saturday last, by the Rev. J. WATSON, Mr. Thomas BEST, of Abby Field, to Elizabeth, youngest daughter of Joshua IVISON, yeoman, of Cumrew.
At Hesket, on Thursday last, by the Rev. William HUDSON, Mr. John LONGRIGG, of Low Hesket, to Miss KIRKBRIDE, only daughter of Isaac KIRKBRIDE, Esq., of Trough Foot, near that place.
At Hesket, on the 6th instant, Mr. Joseph FAULDER, of Mellguards, to Miss Mary HINDSON, of the same place.
At Greystoke, John S. HODGSON, Esq., of Newton, to Miss Ann BAINBRIDGE, of Heggel, near the former place.
At Caldbeck, on Tuesday, the 14th instant, by the Rev. James LYNN, rector, John Westray WILSON, Esq., of Thistlewood, to Hannah Stockdale, eldest daughter of the late Edward RAILTON, Esq., of Buckabank.
At Crosscannonby, on the 5th inst, Mr. Richard M'LAUGHLIN, to Miss Mary MILLICAN, both of Maryport.
At St. John's Chapel, Workington, by the Rev. Peter VON ESSEN, Mr. Joseph DALE, grocer and spirit merchant, to Miss Ann RITSON.
On the 9th instant, at All Souls' Church, Langham Place, Captain Francis Hugh George SEYMOUR, of the Fusileer Guards, eldest son of Sir George SEYMOUR, R.N., to Lady Emily Mary MURRAY, youngest daughter of the Earl of Mansfield.
A marriage under rather singular circumstances has taken place in Brighton during the past week. The bride, a lady of good family, and possessed of a large fortune, was taken from her bed, which she has kept for about two years, in order that the ceremony might be performed. She was attired in a white satin dressing gown. The bridegroom is a widower, and an old attachment is stated to have existed between the parties. The marriage was performed by special license.— Globe.
Saturday 18 May 1839   (p. 3, col. 7)
In the Irish Damside, since our last, Mary, daughter of Robert BELL, aged 24 years.
In the House of Recovery, on the 10th instant, Elizabeth DORGAVAL, aged 28 years.
At Brampton, on the 13th instant, William LETHARD, aged 70 years; also, on the 14th instant, Mr. Thomas PARKER, aged 72 years.
At Curtholm, near Brampton, on the 27th ult., Mary, wife of Mr. Robert GRAHAM, aged 67 years; much respected.
At Wigton, on Saturday last, Ann, wife of Mr. John HETHERINGTON, gardener, aged 56 years; on Monday last, Thomas, son of Mr. Thomas BACKHOUSE, aged 20 years.
At Highmoor-house, in the parish of Wigton, on the 7th instant, Margaret, wife of Mr. Joseph WILSON, blacksmith, aged 54 years.
At Cockermouth, on the 15th instant, Jeffrey ROUTLEDGE, woollen weaver, aged 76 years.
At Workington, on the 7th instant, Mrs. Elizabeth ATKINSON, widow, of that place, aged 78 years.
Last week, on board the brig Diana, on her passage from Belfast, very suddenly, Mr. George KAY, of Maryport, master of the above-named vessel, aged 35 years.
At Whitehaven, on Saturday last, Ann, daughter of Mr. James MARSDEN, weaver, aged 21 years.
At Sandwith, on Tuesday week, aged 52 years, Mrs. Elizabeth BROWN, widow of the late Mr. Charles Caufield BROWN, formerly of Whitehaven.
At Egremont, on Saturday night last, Mr. Robert ATKINSON, druggist, in the 21st year of his age; on Thursday week, Mr. Henry EILBECK, grocer, aged 68 years.
Suddenly, on the 12th instant, aged 37 years, Mr. Robert PEARSON, 69, Haymarket, London, fourth son of the late Mr. Thomas PEARSON, of Longtown—highly respected.
Lately, in Spotland Workhouse, Rochdale, aged about 55 years, John HOLT, having been an inmate of that place upwards of twenty years. At his death there were found, in what he called his room, as much earthenware and china as would fill a common cart or chest. There were upwards of twenty tea-pots, china tea services of the most valuable description, and nearly every kind of earthenware suitable for a large inn, together with a valuable assortment of clothing; yet he never appeared but in very ragged clothes. There were also nearly two quarts of curious farthings, and other old coins. HOLT was formerly able to work; and, after earning a certain sum for the workhouse, he had the rest for himself, with which he purchased the articles described. He always kept his money in small bags, tied to the skirt of his shirt, which sometimes was very bulky.
DEATH OF MISS BATHURST.—Miss BATHURST, who was residing at Rome, under the protection of her uncle and aunt, Lord and Lady AYLMER, rode out with them, escorted by the Duc DE LAVAL MONTMORENCI. The groom of Miss BATHURST was sent back to the residence of Lord AYLMER, with some message; and when the party arrived near the Point di Molle, the Duke proposed leading them by a path, which he had often ridden, along the bank of the Tiber. The river having become swollen, portions of the bank had given way, which had rendered the path so narrow that, after pursuing it some short distance, the Duke, who was foremost, proposed retracing their steps. In endeavouring to turn her horse, Miss BATHURST unfortunately backed him too near the edge of the bank, and horse and rider were plunged into the river. The groom, who had been sent away, was the only one of the party who could swim, and no help being at hand, the young lady perished.