The Genealogist - UK census, BMDs and more online

Saturday 21 Apr 1838   (p. 3, col. 6-7)




On the 7th instant, at the Craig, Bowness, Windermere, the Lady of Sir Thomas Sabine PASLEY, Bart., of a son.




At St. Cuthbert's, on the 15th instant, Mr. Joseph THOMPSON, coach painter, to Mrs. Mary KNIGHT, of the Wool Pack Inn; same place, on the 16th, Mr. William THORP, print cutter, to Miss Isabella HODGSON, straw-bonnet maker.


At St. Mary's, on the 16th inst., Mr. Jonathan LITTLE, to Miss Eleanor DODGSON; same day, Mr. David LINDSAY, to Miss Elizabeth DEVINE; 19th, Mr. Robert COWAN, to Miss Sarah BROWN.


On Monday, the 16th inst., at the Parish Church, Huddersfield, Yorkshire, by the Rev. J. C. FRANKS, Mr. John PLENDERLEATH, tea dealer, eldest son of Mr. John PLENDERLEATH, Longtown, to Miss Jannet BELL, eldest daughter of Mr. John BELL, Hitchel, Dumfries-shire.


At Gretna Green, on the 8th instant, Guildford ONSLOW, Esq., son of the Hon. Colonel ONSLOW, and nephew of the present Earl of Onslow, of Alresford, Hants, to Rosa Anna, daughter of General ONSLOW, of Stoughton House, Huntingdonshire.


At Wigton, on Tuesday last, Mr. George ARMSTRONG, of the parish of Bromfield, to Miss Mary BUSHBY, of Wigton.


At Greystoke, on Saturday week, Mr. Thomas WORKMAN, schoolmaster, to Miss Mary STOGDALE.


At the Superintendent Registrar's Office, Penrith, Mr. Thomas HALL, shoemaker, to Miss Ann WIER [sic – TUER according to FreeBMD].


At Crosthwaite Church, Keswick, on Monday last, Mr. Geo. DIXON, manager for Mr. BAILEY, bookseller, to Mary, niece of Mr. Thomas WILSON, boot and shoe maker.


At Cockermouth, on Tuesday week, Mr. Joseph DIXON, skinner, to Miss Mary BOWE.


At Crosscanonby, on the 17th instant, Mr. Chambers BECK, to Miss Margaret WILSON, both of Maryport.


At Whitehaven, on Tuesday week, Mr. Joseph WOODALL, commercial traveller, Liverpool, to Mary, daughter of Mr. SIMPSON, of Whitehaven; on Monday week, Mr. George MUSGRAVE, painter, to Miss Ann TODHUNTER, both of Whitehaven.


At Egremont, on Monday last, Mr. Robert ELLBECK, sawyer, to Miss Elizabeth BROCKBANK.


At Bowness Church, Windermere, on Tuesday week, the Rev. Henry CALDERWOOD, late Minister of the Scotch Secession Kirk, Kendal, to Mary Elizabeth, eldest daughter of the late Mr. Thomas TAYLOR, bobbin turner, Staveley.

 Saturday 21 Apr 1838   (p. 3, col. 6-7)




On the 17th instant, at her house, in Castle Street, in the 84th year of her age, Catherine, widow of the late Thomas GARFORTH, Esq., of Steeton Hall, Yorkshire, and sole surviving daughter of the late Rev. Dr. GRAHAM, of Netherby, Cumberland.


In the Crescent, on Wednesday night last, Mr. Alderman T. HUNTON, manufacturer, aged 60 years. Mr. H. was a member of the Council for Botchergate Ward; he was an old inhabitant of this city, and took an active part in its public affairs, and was much respected for his honesty of purpose and independence of conduct.


On Thursday week, in Caldewgate, Mrs. Ann SIMPSON, aged 68, widow of Mr. Thomas SIMPSON, builder, and mother of the late Mr. B. SIMPSON, of the firm of J. & B. SIMPSON, builders. She was a woman highly respected as the mother of a large family, and as a kind and considerate neighbour. The loss of her son, Mr. B. SIMPSON, a young man of great talent, a few months ago, preyed heavily upon her mind.


In the House of Recovery, on the 6th instant, Sarah BRADLEY, aged 52 years. She was a well-known character in the town—a regular attendant on the arrival and departure of all coaches, to eke out her miserable pittance by the chance charity of wayfarers.


In English Street, on Wednesday last, John, second son of Mr. James WILLOUGHBY, aged 5 years.


On the 14th instant, Mrs. Elizabeth GRAHAM, of West Walls, at the advanced age of 85 years,—much respected.


In St. Mary's Workhouse, on the 13th instant, Esther IRVING, aged 6 years.


In Botchergate, on Sunday last, Mrs. Mary MOSS, widow, aged 55 years.


In the House of Recovery, on Wednesday last, Mr. George CHAMBERS, aged 30 years.


At Suttle House, near this city, on Saturday last, in his 74th year, much respected, Robert GOTHARD, Esq., late of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.


At Watford, Hertfordshire, on the 11th instant, Edward Hibbert, son of William MARSHALL, Esq., M.P. for this city, aged three years.


In Edinburgh, on the 16th instant, Caroline, daughter of the late Dr. LAWRIE, formerly of this city,—much respected.


At Standing Stone, near Wigton, on the 11th instant, Miss LEWTHWAITE, aged 72 years.


At Wigton, on the 11th instant, Frances, wife of Mr. Joseph M'MECHAN, schoolmaster, aged 49 years.


At Skelgill, in Newlands, near Keswick, on Wednesday last, Mrs. Eleanor FISHER, a maiden lady, sister of John FISHER, Esq., of that place, at the great age of 83 years.


At Keswick, on the 8th instant, Mr. Thomas SPEDDING, mason, aged 79 years; same place, on Thursday week, Mr. Thos. WILSON, late of the Excise, aged 79 years, and uncle of the Rev. Mr.WILSON, of St. John's, near that town.


At Johnshaven, Kincardine, Scotland, on the 8th instant, Thomas, fourth son of Mr. Charles GRAY, nursery and seedsman, Keswick, aged 19 years.


At Cockermouth, on Monday week, after a long and tedious illness, the Rev. John BENN, a native of Middletown, in this county, and the late much respected Assistant Curate of the Chapel of St. Nicholas, Whitehaven.


At Whitehaven, since our last, Mrs. Abigail M'KINNEY, widow, advanced in years; Mrs. Margaret THOMAS, widow, aged 55 years; and Miss Jane WESTMORLAND, aged 19 years.


At Moresby, on Saturday morning last, Mrs. DOWTHWAITE, advanced in years.


At Egremont, on Wednesday week, suddenly, Hannah, eldest daughter of Mr. John SMITH, aged 19 years.


On the 11th inst., at the residence of her son, in Grasmere, aged 75 years, Mrs. GREENWOOD, formerly of Rochdale.


At Kendal, on the 17th instant, Mr. Thomas SHAW, timber-merchant, aged 59 years.


At Newcastle, on the 15th instant, Abigail, wife of Cuthbert LIDDELL, Esq.,—much and deservedly respected.


In Newcastle, on Saturday last, in Newgate Street, at the house of his sister (Mrs. C. GLOVER) after a painful illness, aged 62, Mr. Robert NICHOLS, much and deservedly respected. Mr. N. was the author of "The Life and Adventures of David DOBINSON"—originally printed in the Newcastle Magazine,—a work more nearly approaching DE FOE than any we remember. In the old corporation he was much looked up to by the freemen as a staunch reformer, as well as an intrepid advocate of their rights, and he particularly distinguished himself as one of the leading supporters of Mr. HODGSON, now Mr. Hodgson HINDE. His straight-forward and manly character and incorruptible integrity will long be a theme of admiration among the friends who deplore his loss.


On the 3rd instant, aged 28, of fever, Dr. John FERGUS, late surgeon to St. George's Hospital, Grosvenor Square, and professor of medical jurisprudence in King's College, London. He was the eldest surviving son of the late Rev. Mr. FERGUS, for many years pastor of the High Bridge Chapel, Newcastle.


On the 9th instant, at Richmond, after a very short illness, Mary, Duchess Dowager of Roxburghe. Her Grace was the daughter of Benjamin BECHENOE, Esq., and was married in June, 1780, to William, fourth Duke of Roxburghe, who died tbe 22nd of October, 1815. The widowed Duchess re-married with the late Hon. John TOLLEMACHE, second son of the Countess of Dysart, but leaves no family.


Mr. Hart LOGAN, M.P. for the county of Suffolk, died at quarter past eight o'clock on Friday week, at his residence in Pall Mall. On Thursday, the 5th of this month, he was in the City, and was taken with a chill, but did not consider it more than a common cold. On Friday, the 6th, he complained of his throat, and Mr. LAWRENCE was sent for, who prescribed for him. He got worse, and on Tuesday, the 10th, Mr. LAWRENCE and Dr. James JOHNSON were in consultation, when it was evident that acute inflammation of the upper part of the windpipe existed. Every active measure which these gentlemen could devise was employed; but the decease [sic] gained ground, and the difficulty of breathing became so dreadful, that on Friday, the 13th of April, Mr. LAWRENCE and Dr. JOHNSON determined, as a last resource, that the operation of "tracheotomy," or opening the windpipe, should be performed. This was executed by Mr. LAWRENCE, assisted by Dr. JOHNSON, at five o'clock in the afternoon, and the effect was instant relief and some sound sleep. But the powers of life were unable to sustain the disease, the remedies, and the operation. He breathed easily and suffered very little till a quarter past eight o'clock, when he expired without a groan. He was in his 66th year.