The Genealogist - UK census, BMDs and more online

Saturday 17 Mar 1838   (p. 3, col. 6-7)




At St. Mary's, on the 12th instant, Mr. Edward GREENHOW, to Miss Frances ATKINSON.


At Stanwix, on the 9th instant, by license, Mr. John POOLE, currier, to Ann, youngest daughter of Mr. Thomas ATKIN, tile maker, Eden Place.


At High Hesket, on Thursday, by the Rev. Mr. HUDSON, Mr. John WATSON, of Gill, to Miss Margaret NICHOLSON, of Old Town.


At Gretna Green, on Wednesday last, Mr. John FISHER, to Miss BARTON, both of Cardewlees.


At the parish church, Workington, since our last, by the Rev. R. WILLAN, Mr. Wm. WESTRAY, of Liverpool, painter, to Miss Maryann SCRUGHAM, of Workington; Mr. John FLINN, mariner, to Miss Margaret BELL, both of that place.


On the 1st instant, at Penwortham, Mr. John DIXON, of the firm of Messrs. John and Joseph DIXON, of Preston, drapers, to Ann, second daughter of Mr. Joseph NORMAN, of Whitehaven.

Saturday 17 Mar 1838   (p. 3, col. 6-7)




Yesterday morning, in Henry Street, after a long and painful illness, James, son of Mr. James JOHNSTON, publican, aged 23 years; a young man highly respected.


Yesterday morning, at Allonby, of typhus fever, Mr. John NICHOLSON, principal coast officer there, aged 27, son of Mr. NICHOLSON, pawnbroker, of this city; much respected.


In English Street, on the 9th instant, John, infant son of Mr. W. RICHARDSON, aged eight months.


In the House of Recovery, since our last, Jane BROWN, aged 35 years.


In Caldcoats, on the 10th instant, Mary SKINNER, aged 26 years.


In Caldewgate Workhouse, on the 16th instant, Jane JOHNSTON, aged 22 years.


In St. Cuthbert's Workhouse, on Tuesday last, Mr. Thomas YOUNG, aged 64 years.


At Brisco Village, on Thursday week, Mr. John BELL, aged 76 years.


At Keldhouse, on Wednesday last, Mary Ann, daughter of Mr. Wm. ANCELL, aged 2½ years.


At Longtown, on the 12th instant, Andrew, son of Thomas BEATIE, aged 12 years; on the 13th, James ROBINSON, in the prime of life.


At Hill Top Cottage, near Annan, on the 27th ult., Thomas Hoodless OLIVER, Esq.


At Penrith, on the 9th instant, Mr. Wm. PATTINSON, draper, aged 27 years; 11th, Margaret, wife of Mr. William BROWN, blacksmith, aged 66 years.


At Alston, on the 7th instant, Margaret WALTON, wife of Mr. Jonathan WALTON, formerly clogger, aged 76 years. Mrs. WALTON was followed to the grave by upwards of two hundred persons.


At Bassenthwaite, on the 10th instant, of typhus fever, William, third son of Mr. William PEARSON, of Uldale, in the 29th year of his age,—while living he was much and deservedly respected by all his acquaintances, and has left behind him a character without a single blemish.


At Cockermouth, on Monday, the 5th instant, after a short illness, Mr. Daniel MURRAY, in the 82nd year of his age.


At Low Smithy, Penny-bridge, on Saturday last, Mr. John DIXON, spade manufacturer, aged 65 years.


At Brigham Low Houses, on Monday week, Mrs. Ann BELL, widow, aged 31 years; and at Brigham, Mr. William DOVER, aged 87 years.


At Greysouthen, on Saturday week, Mrs. MOSES, aged 55 years; on Tuesday week, Mrs. MUNCASTER, widow of the late Mr. Joshua MUNCASTER, aged 68 years.


At Dearham, near Maryport, on Wednesday week, Mrs. Mary SMITH, widow, aged 63 years; same place, on the following day, Mr. John DANSON, aged 71.


At Workington, lately, Tamar, wife of Mr. Thomas LOWES, aged 69; Mr. Caleb BLAND, aged 72; Alice, daughter of Mr. John JOHNSTONE, aged 4; Eleanor, wife of Mr. Peter IREDALE, aged 76; Mrs. Jane KERRUISH, widow, aged 78 years.


At Little Clifton, near Workington, on Friday, the 26th ult., Mrs. Jane TUNSTALL, aged 65 years.


At Harrington, on Monday week, Mary, wife of Captain John GIBSON, of the Hebe, of that port, in the 52nd year of her age.


At Whitehaven, on Tuesday, the 6th instant, Mrs. Martha STEELE, aged 73 years; on Wednesday week, John, son of Mr. John FISHER, coachman, aged 16 years; Miss SPENCE, daughter of the late Mr. Henry SPENCE, shoe maker, aged 43 years.


On Saturday last, at Hensingham, Mr. John THOMPSON, tailor, aged 35 years.


At Nethertown, near Egremont, on Tuesday week, John, second son of Mr. William BENSON, of St. Bees, aged 23 years; same day, at Calder Bridge, Betty, relict of the late Mr. James GRAHAM, aged 87 years; same day, at Sellafield, St. Bridget's, Mr. Richard HARTLEY, yeoman, aged 73 years.


At Sierra Leone, on the 17th of December, William, son of Mr. William Reay GILL, aged 29 years.


On the 25th of January, at New York, John BELL, Esq., late of Dunnabie, Dumfries-shire.


At Redcar, on the 26th ult., in her 103d year, Mrs. Ann EDEN, relict of Mr. John EDEN, of that place; the latter having been for nearly fifty years the blind organist of Kirkleatham church.—Mrs. EDEN retained her faculties (that of sight excepted) to the last.


At his residence, Montgomery county, Virginia, on the 4th January, aged 105, Captain Robert ELLIOTT, having served through the revolutionary war.


At Somers-town, Mr. John Gale JONES, in his 68th year. He was a distinguished member of the celebrated "London Corresponding Society," instituted for the promotion of a full, fair, and free representation of the whole people in Parliament.


DEATH OF LADY LONSDALE.—We have to announce the death of the Countess of Lonsdale, which took place at the Earl's seat of Cottesmore, in Rutland, on Tuesday. Her ladyship was a sister of the Earl of Westmorland, and was born in 1761.


At Houghton-le-Spring, on the night of Thursday, the 1st instant, the Rev. Henry BROWN, M.A., of Queen's College, Oxford, head master of the Kepier Grammar School, Houghton. This very amiable man and accomplished scholar, after honourably discharging the duties of his important station for eleven years, was suddenly removed by apoplexy from all his labours, and from his sorrowing pupils, friends, and family.—The fatal stroke occurred about six o'clock in the evening, of the above day. Relieved, by prompt medical aid, from the first deadly symptoms, he recovered both speech and consciousness and conversed cheerfully with those around him. This, however,  was not to last. Dr. BROWN was summoned at a late hour, but arrived only in time to pronounce the sufferer in extreme danger. Death was indeed very near, and took place a little after midnight. On Wednesday week, amidst the universal sorrow of the village and of the neighbourhood, his remains were deposited in the same vault with those of his lamented wife. The Rev. Mr. SHEPHERD officiated, and the body was accompanied to its last abode by many real mourners, some from a considerable distance, and including several ministers of the gospel—the Rev. Mr. BULMER, the Rev. Mr. TIFFIN, the Rev. Mr. HANAGAN, the Rev. Mr. NICHOL, the Rev. Mr. TWENTYMAN, &c. The death of this kind-hearted and benevolent  gentleman will be long and deeply lamented in Houghton; and those to whom he was more immediately endeared feel that they have lost one, the best and warmest of friends. He has left three children—a son and two daughters—all too young, perhaps, to conceive their irreparable loss.—It will be recollected that Mr. BROWN attended the funeral of the late Rev. Mr. GRAY. How little was it then anticipated that he was himself so soon to follow to the narrow house!