Saturday 25 Nov 1837   (p. 3, col. 7)




In London, on Tuesday last, the lady of Thomas LEADBITTER, Esq., of a daughter.




At the Catholic Chapel, Lowther Street, on Tuesday last, by the Reverend Joseph MARSHALL, Mr. William M'ADAM, of Brown's Row, to Miss Elizabeth BURNS. [This is the first marriage in a licensed place of worship in this city since the passing of tlie new Act.]


At Cumrew, on the 18th inst., by the Rev. J. WATSON, Mr. James ELLIOT, of Cumrew, to Jane, daughter of Mr. Charles FORESTER, clock and watch maker, Lockerby.


At Wigton, on Sunday last, Mr. Joseph BACKHOUSE, to Miss Sarah SMITH; same place, on Tuesday last, Mr. Wm. TURNBULL, to Miss Sarah TODHUNTER.


At Penrith, on the 18th instant, Mr. David ARMSTRONG, tallow chandler, to Miss Margaret Neatley.


At Aspatria, on the 21st inst., by the Rev. E. L. THOMPSON, M.A., William THOMPSON, Esq., of Workington, to Miss LOMAS, of Allonby, only daughter of the late Wm. LOMAS, Esq., M.D.


At St. Michael's Church, Appleby, on Wednesday, the 15th instant, Mr. Joseph LANGHORN to Miss Nancy WADESON; at St. Lawrence's Church, on Sunday last, Mr. Joseph CLARK to Miss Mary ROBINSON, of Clifton.


At St. Philip's Church, Liverpool, on Saturday last, by the Rev. T. S. BOWSTEAD, A.M., Mr. William LITTLE, late of Annan, Dumfries-shire, to Hannah GUY, second daughter of the late Mr. W. GUY, Edge-vale, Liverpool.




In Peascod's Lane, on Monday last, Eliza LOWES, daughter of the late Mr. LOWES, printer, of this city, aged 17 years.


In Annetwell-street, on the 20th instant, Thomas, son of Mr. John SEWELL, aged two and a half years.


In Duke Street, on the 17th instant, Elizabeth TENCH, aged 52 years.


At Stanwix, on Sunday last, after a long and painful illness, Mrs. HUDSON, wife of the Rev. J. HUDSON, vicar of that place, aged 71 years.


At Knockupworth Hall, on Monday last, after a short, but severe illness, Miss E. WRIGHT, third daughter of John WRIGHT, Esq., in tlhe 21st year of her age. The sudden demise of this young lady, who was in Carlisle, on the Wednesday previous, in good health and spirits, has caused the greatest affliction to her relatives, and also to a numerous circle of friends, by whom she was highly respected.


At Wigton, on Monday last, Mr. Stephen WINTHORPE, aged 30 years.


At Penrith, on the 17th instant, Richard, only son of the late Mr. Richard LAZONBY, 6 years; on the 23rd, Mr. Thomas Allison GRAHAM, stonemason, Sandgate, aged 28 years.


At Templesowerby, on Monday last, suddenly, Mr. Thomas HILL, innkeeper, aged 65.


At his residence, No. 9, Union Place, Lambeth Street, London, on the 19th inst., after a short and severe illness, Mr. Thomas SCOTT, aged 31 years. The deceased was the eldest son of Mr. John SCOTT, of Turnbury, in the parish of Cumrew, in this county, and was much and deservedly respected through life.

 Saturday 25 Nov 1837   (p. 4, col. 6)


Continued from third page.




At Fleurs, near Kelso, on the 13th instant, the Duchess of Roxburgh, of a daughter.




At Cockermouth, on Monday week, Mr. Thomas ATKIN, blacksmith, of Allerby, to Miss Ann ATKINSON, of the former place; same place, Mr. William FISHER, husbandman, to Miss Mary GIBSON, both of Anfield, near Cockermouth; and Mr. Robert BELL, joiner, of Goat, to Miss Hannah WATERS, of Cockermouth.


At Whitehaven, on Saturday last, Mr. Thomas HELLINGS, husbandman, to Miss Agnes ROBERTSON; Mr. H. DICKINSON, mason, to Miss E. MASON; Mr. James BARBER, ship-wright, to Miss Jane M'CORMICK; on the 20th, Mr. William JACKSON, mariner, to Mrs. Mary CHAMBERS; Mr. Joseph TYSON, ropemaker, to Miss Margaret THORNTHWAITE.


At St. John's, Beckermet, on Tuesday week, by the Rev. J. W. SMYTHE, Mr. J. PERRY, to Miss Margaret MOSSOP, of Winscales.


At Egremont, on Saturday last, by the Rev. W. H. LEECH, rector, Mr. William MATHER, to Miss Ruth HARTLEY; Mr. Geo. BOWNESS, of St. Bridget's, Beckermet, to Miss Sarah NICHOLSON, of Egremont.


At Crosthwaite Church, Keswick, on Tuesday week, Mr. John ATKINSON, to Miss Ann BENN, both of Underskiddaw, near that town; same place, on Sunday last, Mr. William WINDER, to Mrs. Margaret WELSH, both of Thornthwaite, near Keswick.


At Ulverston, on the 18th inst., Mr. Wm. CARTMEL, husbandman, to Miss Mary REDHEAD, both of Bowstead Yeats, near that town.


At Hexham, on the 28th ult., Mr. Arthur CHESTER, horse dealer and innkeeper, Nottingham, to Jane, youngest daughter of Mrs. CHARLTON, Old Grey Bull Inn, Hexham; on the 11th instant, Mr. Matthew DODD, mason, to Miss E. ENGLISH.


At Warden, on the 13th instant, Mr. William ALEXANDER, watchmaker, Hexham, to Miss Elizabeth BELL.


At Newcastle, on Thursday week, Mr. Thomas WOOSTER, merchant, to Phillis, youngest daughter of Mr. Adam HUTTON.


At Lancaster, on Tuesday week, John Penny MACHELL, Esq., eldest son of James Penny MACHELL, Esq., of Penny Bridge, to Eliza, daughter of the late Right Honourable Lord Chief Justice DALLAS.


At Sunbury Church, on the 14th instant, the Hon. Sidney ROPER CURZON, son of the Right Honourable Lord Teynham, to Frances, the youngest daughter of Richard PURVES, Esq., of Sunbury Place, Middlesex.


At Euston Church, the Hon. and Reverend Augustus PHIPPS, to Lady Mary E. FITZROY, eldest daughter of the Earl and Countess of Euston.

Saturday 25 Nov 1837   (p. 4, col. 6)




At Whitehaven, since our last, Mrs. Ann O'BRIEN, aged 37 years; Mrs. Jane GREEST, aged 22 years.


At Cockermouth, on Friday week, Mr. Thomas SMITH, late woollen manufacturer, and formerly Captain in the Cockermouth Volunteers, aged 58 years.


At Gilcrux, on the 6th inst., Mr. Carter FEARON, yeoman, aged 42 years, leaving eight Orphans to mourn over the loss of their sole surviving affectionate parent; and to the deep regret of his fellow townsmen, to whom he was much endeared, not only for the amiability of his disposition, but for his active co-operation at all times in the settlement of their parochial affairs.


At Hyton, near Bootle, on Monday week, Mr. Isaac SHEPHERD, late of the King's Head Inn, Bootle, in the 58th year of his age; very highly esteemed through life.


At Harrington, on Saturday week, suddenly, Mr. Thomas WREN, mariner, aged 70 years.


At Workington, since our last, Margaret, wife of Mr. Isaac BANKS, aged 38 years.


At Maryport, on Thursday last, Mrs. Alice ROBINSON, aged 77 years; Mr. James INMAN, aged 67 years.


At Greata Hall, Keswick, on Thursday week, aged 63 years, Mrs. SOUTHEY, wife of Robert SOUTHEY, Esq., L.L.D. The deceased was a most amiable lady, and universally beloved.


At Keswick, at the house of his brother-in-law, Mr. EDMONDSON, surgeon, Keswick, on Friday week, Mr. Abraham SLACK, aged 33 years, brother of William SLACK, Esq., of Ann's Hill, near Cockermouth. The melancholy and untimely death of this amiable and highly respected gentleman has cast a gloom over the minds of his numerous acquaintance that time alone will be able to obliterate. About a fortnight ago, as the deceased was returning from Newlands on a remarkably quiet pony, the girths of the saddle became loose, and whilst endeavouring to tighten them, without dismounting, the saddle slipped to one side, and the pony taking fright, set off at full speed. Unfortunately one of Mr. Slack's feet was fast in the stirrup, and in this manner he was dragged at the full speed of the affrighted animal, for upwards of a mile, along one of the roughest roads, perhaps, in the kingdom. On the pony reaching home without its rider a good deal of alarm was excited, and search was immediately made, when Mr. S. was discovered lying upon the road not far from Portinscale, where he resided, cut and bruised in a most frightful manner. He was forthwith removed to his lodgings, and medical aid having been immediately called in, he was soon pronounced out of danger, and appeared gradually to recover until Thursday last, when finding himself rather worse, expressed a wish to be removed to the house of his brother-in-law, at Keswick. His request was instantly complied with, but unfortunately from this time he hourly grew worse, until about eleven o'clock on Friday evening, when death terminated his suffering.


At Newcastle, on the 18th instant, in consequence of a fall from the main yard of the ship Mary, Captain HUTCHINSON, of that port, (then lying in the Thames, and of which vessel he was mate,) Anthony, son of Mr. A. TEASDALE, of Trafalgar-street, Newcastle.


At North Shields, on the 9th instant, aged 75, Mr. William HALL, grocer, a brother of Mr. John HALL, formerly one of the proprietors of the Newcastle Courant.


Lately, in Myrtle Street, Liverpool, aged 90, Anne, relict of Mr. John BANKS, lecturer on natural and experimental philosophy.


At Liverpool, on Friday week, of typhus fever, John, son of Mr. W. BECK, of Wath, near Whitehaven, aged 24 years. The deceased was a most amiable and unassuming young man.


At Old Calabar, Africa, in May last, on board the Nottingham, of Liverpool, Mr. James DELANEY, eldest son of the late Capt. James DELANEY, of the brig Flora, of Whitehaven.


At Demerara, in September last, in the 42nd year of his age, Capt. Andrew RANEY, of the John Scott, of Whitehaven, a very worthy and estimable man, and much respected; same place, on the Lady Shaw Stewart, of Whitehaven, Mr. NIMMES, and Mr. REDFERN, first and second mates of the above-named vessel, and also a youth named SCOTT, an apprentice on board; same place, on the 26th of October last, on board of the same vessel, Mr. John KING, aged 21 years, son of Mrs. KING, of Scotch Street, in Whitehaven; same place, in August last, Mr. William TYSON, of Whitehaven, aged 30 years, second mate of the ship Johnston, of Liverpool, Captain M'PHERSON master.



Supplementary information from   Shipping Intelligence:


A letter from Captain WALKER, of the Superior, of Whitehaven, dated Demerara, September 28, states that the sickness at that place, which had numbered a great many English sailors with the dead, was fast subsiding at the time he wrote. The crew of the Superior, it may be satisfaction to their friends to learn, were all in good health.


A letter was received on Sunday last, from Captain STEEL, of the Lady Shaw Stewart, of Whitehaven, at Demerara, detailing the ravages on board his vessel. Captain S. bad [sic] been attacked by fever, but had recovered, and the remainder of his crew were all in good health. —Captain S. states that sickness had prevailed to an alarming extent, and that the crews of very few vessels had entirely escaped. At the date of his letter, however, the fever had subsided, and the place had become as healthy as usual.—Captain S. expected to sail about the 15th October, direct for Whitehaven.