The Genealogist - UK census, BMDs and more online


   An inquest was held at the  Mary Hewetson Hospital on Saturday afternoon touching the death 0f George Dixon aged 68 years who fell from the raliway line at Brigham on the 12th inst ,  and   died at the Hospital on the 22nd.   
Mr. Gordon  Falcon Coroner for West Cumberland  conducted the inquiry  and Mr. John Scott  was foreman of  the jury.               John Clark  traffic superintendent, C. K,. & P.  Railway. formally identified the body as that of ,George Dixon in the employment of the Company,   and lately living at  Chestnut-hill.  He said the deceased had been foreman of the " spare gang."   and on the 12th inst. was assisting others on the  the line near Penrith.                          
 George Stamper Davies  said he was a signalman engaged  the low box at Keswick Station.  He  knew the deceased and saw him on the night of the 12th after the departure of the 9-10 train from  Penrith , witness saw him come to the end of the platform as he was putting out the lights .
    Dixon borrowed witness’s hand lamp to light him on  his way  home but did not not go then ; He went to the cabin and waited for the shower to pass  as It was a wild night.  The deceased man left at ten o`clock , his nearest way home was by the line.  Witness  set him " up the platforrn ".      He had had  a  drink but was quite able to walk. witness asked him to come down to town, and go that way home,  but he preferred to go by the line.  there was no  train on the line afterwards.
  Joseph Clark, farmer Brigham, Keswick, deposed  that on Wednesday morning, Nov. l3th, about 6-30  he heard somebody calling his name.  The cattle  creep is about 70 yards from  his house.    He went there, in the direction of the calls. and found  George Dixon lying just underneath the cattle creep;.  He was quite conscious

 Witness said, "George  what are you doing  here?"' He replied that he  had tumbled over.  Witness asked further, "have  you tumbled over this morning?"  He replied,  "No  I have laid all night.  I have bean shouting  all night." . Witness did not hear anything during  the night.  Dixon was too badly hurt to get up   himself, and when witness got  hold of him he shouted, "Keep off I have broken my arm."  Witness then went to seek the assistance of Messrs,   Melvin and Thompson, and they took him  to his  home at Chestnut Hill   -   The Coroner asked if the deceased would have to get off the line at the bridge.
    Witness replied  that the point at which be would   intend to leave the line was at the Brewery.-   Mr. John Clark hare inlormed the Coroner that the  deceased had a key for the wicket at the Brewery, some 400 or 500 yards higher up.-     witness said he believed the cattle creep was about 18ft, high they could get a cart of hay under it,  The deceased  did not give him any further information.   Witness went for assistance when he knew the man was   badly hurt, and he had no more talk with him.
  There had been rain during the night but the ground was dry where Dixon was lying, and it was fair in the morning.

       Graham Brunskill, foreman platelayer,    said the deceased with others went by  the    7 o'clock train on the morning of the 12th, to work at a place about two miles, on the Keswick side of Penrith.  Witness went  to visit them at 3.30 in the afternoon              It was Penrith fair day.  He found they had left their  work ; all of them had gone to Penrith.  They had   worked until noon, but did not resume work after  dinner.  witness saw Dixon at Penrith about 6-10  p. m.; but did not say anything to him about having   left his work., it was against the rules for men to leave work without asking.  Witness did not see  him come by the train.  Dixon appeared to have  had some drink, and that was the reason witness  did not speak to him.
 Mr. Dixon died on the 22nd .       The bridge from which he fell was the ordinary kind  of cattle creep, not more dangerous than at other  places. There Is no railing. and the top of the  coping is about 18 in. from the arch.      The Coroner, summing up, said it seemed quite clear that the deceased accidentally fell over while  making his way home.  Though the deceased had  had some drink it appeared that he could walk well to enough.  Others had met with death from similar   causes.  He knew what awkward things these' cattle  creeps were, with copings projecting just sufficiently a for a person to trip himself, and anyone, without  having had drink, might easily fall over on such a  wild night.  He stated that he had a note from Dr.  Crawford,   who was called to see the deceased at 7 a.m. on the 13th and found him suffering from a  compound comminuted fracture of the left arm.  
The bone protruded at the elbow joint, and there  was great laceration of the soft parts.     Amputation  of the  arm was imperative.  Death was due  supervention of hypostatic congestion of the lungs.       From  the examination made on the morning after  the accident, he was of opinion that the deceased was not suffering from the effects of alcohol.
The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental  death." They gave their fees to the hospital fund.