Ambleside Herald and Lakes News 17-Sep-1881 Page 4

On the 20th inst at Ambleside, JAMES BACKHOUSE aged, 58 years

Sudden Death at Ambleside
On Tuesday afternoon last, whilst the town was in deep grief over the interment of the late vicar, it was startled with
the report that Mr. JAS. BACKHOUSE of Edinboro, had expired suddenly at The Croft, whilst engaged in the employment of

At first the report was scarcely credited, as MR. BACKHOUSE was known to be a hale and hearty man, and a stranger to
illness, but it eventually proved only too true.  It appears that deceased, on the afternoon in question had been
engaged working at The Croft, and had several times complained of not feeling well.

During the early part of the afternoon he had been assisting in the cartage of stones, and afterwards commenced to
assist in the cutting up of a horse which had died the Saturday previous, and which was required as tillage for the
vines.  He, however, was not able to continue at this occupation, as his indisposition increased, and he complained of a
pain in the chest.  Notwithstanding, he partook of tea with MR. FELL, the gardener, and appeared to enjoy it, although
he still spoke of not feeling very well.  Shortly afterwards he went and sat himself down in the garden, and becoming
suddenly worse, expired at a little after five o'clock, before medical assistance could be obtained.

When DR. KING arrived on the spot he pronounced life to be extinct.  The deceased's brother (Mr. T. BACKHOUSE) being
informed of the sad event, had the body (which had in the meantime been watched over by MRS. FLETCHER, who was deeply
grieved) conveyed to Edinboro, whither the news had previously been gently broken to deceased's sisters with whom he

MR. JAS. BACKHOUSE was by occupation a shepherd and had been employed as such in New Zealand for eleven years and
Australia for five or six years.  He was a man well known in the district, and was of a kindly and intelligent

His remains were decided to be interred on Friday the 23rd inst.  It was thought that an inquest on the body would
perhaps be held, but particulars of the occurrence having been forwarded by PC TAGGART to the coroner, he decided it was