Monday's and Wednesday's Posts.


Whitehall, August 27.

THE dispatch, of which the following is an extract, was this morning
received at the office of the Right Honourable HENRY DUNDAS, His Majesty's
Principal Secretary of State for the home department.

Camp, near Dunkirk, August 24, 1793.

I have the honour to inform you, that his Royal Highness marched from
Furnes, upon the evening of the 22d with the besieging army, in order to
attack the Camp of Ghivelde and approach the town of Dunkirk.  He advanced
in three columns, the cavalry along the Strand, a column of infantry upon
the road which leads to the canal directly upon Ghivelde, and a third to the

The advanced posts of the enemy were driven back with the loss of two or
three men wounded;  and night coming on, the enemy halted within a short
distance of the village of Ghevelde.  The enemy abandoned their camp in the
night;  they afterwards quitted a redoubt in which they left four iron guns,
and the army took up its ground within a league of the town.

There was a great deal of firing in the evening at the advanced posts in the
gardens and enclosures which are in front of the camp, and upon the Dunes,
in which the regiment of STARRAY, and O'DONNEL (Austrian) have had upwards
of fifty men killed and wounded;  the enemy were driven back, and this
morning every thing is quiet.

The army will this day approach nearer to the town, and take up the ground
which it is to occupy during the siege.

I am happy to inform you that Field Marshal FREYTAG has taken two of the
enemy's posts, with four pieces of cannon and 60 prisoners, with very little

It is not in my power to give a more detailed account of the successes of
this army.  The Field Marshal will transmit an account of his operations as
soon as his other important occupations will permit.

It is said that the enemy are sending considerable reinforcements from Lisle
to the Camp at Cassel.

I have the honour to be, &c.




From the London Gazette

Thursday's and Friday's Posts.



Whitehall, August 28.

THE following dispatch was this morning received from Colonel JAMES MURRAY,
Adjutant General to the forces under the command of his Royal Highness the
DUKE OF YORK, at the office of the Right Honourable HENRY DUNDAS, His
Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the home departments.

Lesserink's Hocke, August 26, 1793.

I have the honour to inform you that His Royal Highness intended upon the
24th to attack the enemy, who were still posted at some distance from
Dunkirk, in order to get possession of the ground which it was necessary to
occupy previous to the siege.  They hastened the execution of his design by
attacking the out-posts between the canal of Furnes and the sea.  Lieutenant
General DALTON advanced with the reserve, which was encamped upon that side,
to their support.

The enemy were repulsed, and driven, with loss, into the town.  One piece of
canon and a few prisoners were taken.  The ardour of the troops carried them
further in the pursuit than was intended, so that they came under the cannon
of the place, by which means a considerable loss has been sustained.  This
was likelier to happen, and more difficult to be prevented, from the nature
of the country, which is covered with trees and strong enclosures.

Lieutenant General DALTON was killed with a cannon shot towards the
conclusion of the attack.  The loss of this excellent officer must be
severely felt.  The courage and ability which he has displayed in the course
of many campaigns, raised him to the highest rank of estimation in the army
in which he served.

His Royal Highness has likewise to lament that of Colonel ELD, of the
Coldstream regiment, and of other valuable men.  The troops behaved with
their usual courage.  The two British battalions which were engaged were
commanded by Colonel LEIGH and Major MATTHEWS, and the grenadier battalion
of the Hessians, by Lieutenant Colonel WURMB.

His Royal Highness is particularly sensible of the exertions of Major
General ABERCROMBY and Major General VERNECK, who were with the advanced
guard, as likewise of those of Lieutenant General WURMB.

The army have taken up the ground which His Royal Highness intended they
should occupy:  The advanced posts within a short distance of the town.

I have the honour to be, &c.


P.S.  In the hurry of making up the last dispatch, the names of the two
posts taken by Field Marshal FREYTAG, and of the bridge, could not be
inserted.  Those of the former are Warmarthe and Eckelsbech, and the latter
Le*erinck's Hocke.

The return of the Austrians killed and wounded has not yet been received,
but is supposed to about 170 men.

Right Honourable HENRY DUNDAS, Etc.


Return of the Killed, Wounded and Missing of the British and Hessian troops,
in the action of the 24th of August.


Flank battalions Infantry...............5 rank and file killed;  25 ditto
wounded;  1 ditto missing.

Royal Artillery.....3 rank and file, killed;  1 lieutenant, 7 rank and

Total...........1 captain, 1 serjeant, 16 rank and file, killed;  2
lieutenants, 57 rank and file, wounded;  1 do. missing.


1 Captain, 2 lieutenants, 13 rank and file, killed;  2 lieutenants-colonel,
2 lieutenants, 36 rank and file, wounded.

First regiment Foot Guards......Captain WILLIAMS, wounded.
Coldstream.............................Lieutenant Colonel ELD, killed.
Royal Artillery.........................Lieutenant Wilson, wounded.

J. S. LEGER, Dep. Adj. Gen.