SIR JOSEPH SAVORY, M.P., telegraphs to a Penrith correspondent authorising
him to emphatically contradict the suggestion that he is not likely to stand
again for North Westmorland.


MILTON.  A new Wesleyan Chapel has been recently opened at Milton on a site
given by LORD CARLISLE.  The building, which is of corrugated iron, was
formally opened last week.  The REV. B. BURROWS, Carlisle, Chairman of the
District, conducted the opening services, which were well attended.  On
Saturday, a bazaar was held, opened by MRS. WATSON, Holme Eden.  The sum of
£45 was realised, so that the chapel is now free from debt.


HEXHAM WESLEYAN CIRCUIT.  The quarterly meeting of the above was held on
Monday afternoon in the schoolroom, Beaumont Street, Hexham, the REV. ALEX
F. FOGWELL, superintendent minister, in the chair.  The financial statement
of the stewards was satisfactory, while the numerical report showed that the
total membership was 1,135, being an increase of 38 on the quarter, with 148
on trial.  The REV. A. F. FOGWELL and the REV. J. E. HOWARD (Corbridge),
were thanked for their past services, and invited to remain a third year, an
invitation which both gentlemen accepted.  The REV. I. E. PAGE, whose three
years' services have been very acceptable, leaves the circuit at next
conference, having accepted an invitation to the Woodhouse Grove Circuit,
near Leeds.  A petition in favour of Sunday Closing was adopted.

The weekly session of the "Beacon of the Border" Lodge, No. 3316  I.O.G.T.
was held on Saturday night last in the City Hall Estate Room, Castle Street,
Brother THOMAS DALEY, CT, presiding.

This being the night set apart for the mail bag, letters, which were full of
enouragement to renewed activity and work, were read from the lodges in the
following towns:

North Ormesby,  Five Oak Green,  Tweedmouth,  Harpurhey,  Sittingbourne,
Groombridge,  and  Dulverton.

The following programme was then rendered:

Song                    "Say au revoir"                Sister M. J. DIXON
Recitation:            .......................                Brother MAW
Song:                   "Teddy O'Neal"               Brother HENRY SMITH
Song:                   "Will ye no' come
                              back again"                   Sister WANNOP
Song:                   "I'm coming"                    Brother WAUGH
Song:                   .......................                Sister
Song:                   "Pulling hard against
                             the stream:                     Brother
Song:                   "Soldier's letter"               Brother ASHER


In an article on "Queer Sights" in the ' Wide World Magazine' , we read:

We will make one more extract from this encyclopaedia of queer sights, and
we have done.  It is a description of an extraordinary operation performed
on a man who had broken his leg.

The man (says the writer) seen lying on his back, accidently broke his leg
whilst working on a missionary steamer on the Congo River.  The local white
doctor never had a more untractable patient, consequently the fractured bone
did not set.

After a time the sufferer's fellow-tribesmen took him away from the doctor's
charge, saying they would do the thing in their own way.  Accordingly they
took him to their own village and laid him on the ground on his back by the
side of one of their huts.  Under his head they placed his own box, in which
he used to carry most of his requisites.

The broken leg was stretched straight out, and then covered with a little
hillock of soft clay.  This clay was pressed hard down upon his leg, and
this done, a fire of logs was kindled on the hillock until the clay became
literally as hard as a brick.

For over five weeks, day and night, the patient lay in this position, fed by
the two indefatigable attendants seen in the photograph.  Of course, it was
absolutely impossible for him to escape, unless he left his leg behind him.

It is satisfactory to record that what the white doctor was unable to
accomplish, these primitive savages did successfully in their own peculiar


A young woman named ANNIE IRVING was found dead at a house in Cannon-st.,
Newcastle-on-Tyne, on Sunday night, and ALEXANDER THOMPSON, with whom the
girl lodged, was arrested on a charge of having caused her death.

Deceased was found by prisoner's wife and daughter in the passage with a
terrific wound on her head and her arms burnt as though she had fallen on
the fire.  Prisoner is a labourer employed at SIR WILLIAM ARMSTRONG's works.

At Newcastle, ALEXANDER THOMPSON (36) was charged with the murder of ANNIE
IRVING, at 10, Cannon-st.  MR. E. CLARKE, who prosecuted, said the doctor
had found on a post-mortem, that the woman had been ill-used. - Prisoner was
remanded for a week.

As he was leaving the dock his wife, who was present with her daughter, and
had shown signs of deep emotion during the hearing, shouted, "Oh, Alec, say
you didn't do that thing."

THOMPSON turned round, and replied, "No;  I didn't do it."

Both women fainted, and had to be carried out of court.


Before His Honour Judge SHAND and a jury, on Monday, in the Liverpool County
Court, an action was brought by EDITH ANNE MORCOM, a hospital nurse in the
employ of the West Derby Guardians, and she claimed £45 from the Corporation
of Liverpool, as owners of the tramways, for personal injuries, expenses,
and damage to clothing.

On the 3rd of February, plaintiff, a young lady of 23, took a tram to the
Pierhead.  The car stopped opposite No. 1 bridge, whereupon the guard ran
off to the tram office to pay in his money.

In his absence the passengers got out of the car, plaintiff being the last
to leave.  Just as she was stepping off the platform, the horses were
started, and plaintiff was thrown to the ground, striking her head violently
on the pavement, and sustaining severe injury.

She had since suffered from pains in her head and sleeplessness.  For the
defence it was contended that the car was at a standstill when plaintiff
stepped from it, and it was suggested that the fall was occasioned by her
foot catching in her dress.

The jury gave a verdict for plaintiff, damages £20.  His Honour gave
judgment accordingly, with costs.


CHARLES SMITH (33), plasterer, was executed in Durham Gaol on Tuesday, for
the murder of his wife at Gateshead.

The parties retired to bed on the night of December 27th apparently on good
terms, although SMITH was the worse for liquor.  Next morning the woman was
found dead in her bedroom with her head battered in, the injuries having
been inflicted with a brush handle.

The jury recommended SMITH to mercy, but the Home Secretary refused to
interfere.  SMITH, who was a native of Aberdeen, had been very downcast
since his condemnation, but he was reconciled to his fate.

On Monday afternoon he had a final interview with his little son, aged 11,
and although the parting was a very affecting one, SMITH was pleased to
learn that it had been arranged for the child to go into DR. BARNARDO's

The condemned man passed a restless night, and rose before six on Tuesday
morning.  After partaking of a light breakfast he was joined by the
Chaplain, the REV. J. ADCOCK, who remained with him to the end.  Shortly
before eight o'clock BILLINGTON, who was assisted by his son, proceeded to
pinion SMITH.

A procession was then formed to the scaffold SMITH having a warder on each
side, but he walked to the drop firmly, and with almost incredible
swiftness, BILLINGTON completed the final arrangements, pulled the lever,
and launched the unhappy man into eternity.

The rope swayed a second or two after SMITH had disappeared from view and
then remained steady, death being instantaneous.


At a meeting of the Blenkinsopp and Thirlwall Joint Burial Committee on
Saturday, MR. HENDERSON, presiding, the Clerk was instructed to call the
attention of the caretaker to the fact that poultry got into the cemetery
and disfigured the ground by scratching, and ask him to ascertain whose they

It was stated that subscriptions for the hearse were being solicited with
satisfactory results so far.


ELIZA CRUM was charged at the Town Hall, Carlisle, on Monday, with being
drunk and disorderly in Scotch Street on the 19th inst.

P.C. LYNN said he saw defendant making a disturbance, and told her to go
away but she refused, and he had to lock her up.

She was sent to gaol for 2 months.

At Clerkenwell, ALBERT C. ROBINSON, pork butcher, St. Luke's, was remanded
on bail charged with shooting PETER GOHL, a neighbouring baker and friend.
The two were about to engage in rifle practice at Robinson's factory on
Sunday, when, according to the accused, he pulled the trigger, and the
weapon being loaded from the previous Sunday's practice, the charge entered
GOHL's chest, inflicting a fatal wound.

The COUNTESS OF WARWICK has been returned to the Warwick Board of Guardians
for a second term of three years, this time without a contest.  LORD LEIGH
is also a member of the same body.

A telegram from Mojanga, Madagascar, via Paris, states that 400 Sakalavas
attached the Ambiky-Menabe post on Feb. 22.  The enemy were driven off with
the loss of 53 men.  No casualties occurred on the French side.

DR. G. V. PATTON, Editor of the "Dublin Daily Express", and for many years
Irish correspondent of the "TIMES" died last night at Dublin.  Deceased was
called to the Irish Bar many years ago, but abandoned the profession for
literature, becoming one of the best-known journalists in Ireland.  He was a
fellow of the Institute of Journalists.

The COUNTESS OF WARWICK gave birth to a son at Warwick Castle on Monday.
Both mother and child are doing well.

The DUKE OF LEEDS, after an attack of influenza, has been ordered by his
doctor rest and change of air.  He has, therefore, left London to join the
DUCHESS in Italy.

The EARL OF ENNISKILLEN, Master of the North Cheshire Hounds, has received
another communication from LORD DELAMERE, wherein his lordship says he is
quite well.  He also refers to his expedition in Africa, speaks of having
killed a lot of big game, and states that he and his party are going back to
kill more.  Hence it is possible that he will not return to England for some

On Monday, at Heywood, ERNEST OWEN and JAMES ARMSTRONG were charged with
breaking into a pawnbroker's shop in Mount-st., Heywood, and stealing over
16s in money, 30 silk handerchiefs, and other things value £11.
Prisoners are well known to the police.  They have both been up before for
stealing, and have served six months for shop-breaking, ARMSTRONG leaving
gaol a short time ago.  Prisoners were committed for trial.

At Farnham on Monday, ALICE TRIGG, 21, single woman, was committed for trial
charged with the wilful murder of her female child, aged one year and nine
months, the body of which was found in a ditch.

The JOEFFERSON Polar expedition has returned to St. Petersbury from
Archangel.  The members of the party will proceed to Christiana, whence they
will start in June on an expedition to the South Pole.

The Peninsular and Oriental Company's steamer, ' Australia ', which has
arrived at Adelaide with a case of smallpox on board, has been placed in
strict quarantine, and will probably remain so for a fortnight.