The Genealogist - UK census, BMDs and more online

The Times, Thursday, Jan 25, 1866; pg. 12; Issue 25404; col F

SHIPWRECKS ON THE COAST. – The Board of Trade have within the last week or ten days obtained from the Receivers of Wrecks along the coast the sworn depositions of upwards of 400 captains and survivors of vessels which have either been totally lost or met with some serious casualty during the recent unparalleled gales. The annexed list is selected from these official reports, and gives various particulars respecting each vessel: -

[Amongst many others:]

The London screw steamer, 1,475 tons, owners Messrs. MONEY WIGRAM and Sons, of Blackwall, with a general cargo and passengers, for Australia, lost in the Bay of Biscay, with 220 lives, on the 11th inst.; loss of ship and cargo, 200,000L.

The total losses during the gales were the most numerous that have happened off the coast since February, 1838.

The Times, Thursday, Jan 25, 1866; pg. 9; Issue 25404; col G

THE WRECK OF THE LONDON. – Ten persons from this county, it appears, have perished with the ill-fated vessel, one of them, William GRAHAM, together with his wife and three children, having gone from Carlisle. It is a sad story – one which cannot be read even by strangers without most painful feelings. The names of the unfortunate voyagers are as follows: - William GRAHAM, tailor, aged 51 years; Ellen, his wife, 49 years; George, his son, 10 years; a daughter, 3 years; a baby, aged 4 months; Thomas GRAHAM, aged 40 years; Mary, his wife, aged 27 years; David GRAHAM, aged 37 years; David M’VITTIE, aged 30 years, blacksmith, Newtown; and John LITTLE, aged 30 years, fireman on the North British Railway. The three GRAHAMs were brothers, sons of John and Mary GRAHAM, late of Paddenstown, near Longtown, parish of Kirkandrews-on-Esk. Thomas had been out in Victoria 12 years, and David followed him four years afterwards, and had since been engaged in business with him. Success followed their farming operations until they were enabled to purchase an estate. In their prosperity the brothers were not unmindful of their old home; and during the prevalence of distress at Longtown, in consequence of the cotton famine, they generously sent over a sum of 60L. for the relief of the sufferers. They also sent a large amount of relief to Manchester. In August last they came over to England with a view of seeing their friends and of purchasing implements. Upwards of 1,000L. they laid out in this way, and sent out before them a portable steam-engine, a bone-mill, two wine-presses, ploughs, and a variety of other implements for the farm. Thomas had another purpose to effect also in visiting the old country, and that was to marry and take home with him a young woman named Sarah BRUCE, 27 years of age, a native of Banff. They were married only about a week before they left Carlisle to take up their berths on board the ill-fated ship. Their brother, William GRAHAM, who for 20 years was in the employment of Mr. NOBLE, tailor, Carlisle, agreed to go out with them, they paying his passage, and he took with him his wife and family, as stated above. LITTLE and M’VITTIE, friends of the GRAHAMs, were also going out with them. Both men were in the employ of the North British Railway Company – LITTLE as fireman, running between Longtown and Gretna, and M’VITTIE as a blacksmith, at the engine-sheds, Newtown, near Carlisle. LITTLE was a remarkably steady and amiable young man. He was the eldest of a family of 11 children, and is survived both by his father and mother, who reside in Nicholforest. For a time he was engaged at ATTWOOD’s Zinc-works, in the Brampton district. Afterwards he was engaged for about two years as a packer in Messrs. CARR and Co.’s biscuit-works, in Carlisle, which service he left on obtaining a situation as a cleaner on the North British Railway. He remained in the service of that company until his departure for Australia, and for the last three years had run as fireman over the Gretna and Longtown Junction. His original intention was to go out to Queensland, and Mr. M’VITTIE, on learning this, wrote to him asking him to accompany him and the GRAHAMs out to Australia, a proposal to which he at once gave his consent. The whole party left the Citadel station on the 27th of December last, and a large number of friends – who gave three hearty cheers when the train started – assembled to bid them farewell. When on board the London, and shortly before the steamer went out, LITTLE, who described himself as very sick at the time, in consequence of the sail from Gravesend, wrote a letter to his brother in Carlisle, requesting him not to go out to America, as he was thinking of doing in the spring, until he should hear from him, as he would wish him to go out to Australia to him should he be prosperous there. News of the loss of the ship was taken to LITTLE’s parents on Thursday by the brother referred to and by Mr. W. LITTLE, of South Vale. It was a sad blow, indeed, to the poor old people, the father regretting bitterly that he could not look upon his dead son’s face. – Cumberland Pacquet.

THE LATE MR. G. V. BROOKE. – A committee, consisting of Mr. J. L. TOOLE, Mr. Paul BEDFORD, Mr. J. W. ANSON, Mr. Clarence HOLT, Mr. BILLINGTON, Mr. SWEIZER, and Mr. M. W. HODGES, has been formed for the purpose of taking measures to perpetuate the memory of Mr. G. V. BROOKE, who was, it will be recollected, on board the London when she went down. The proposal is made to establish a lifeboat on some part of the coast hereafter to be decided upon, and to build a house in connexion with the Royal Dramatic College at Maybury, both to bear Mr. BROOKE’s name.