The Times, Thursday, Nov 02, 1882; pg. 6; Issue 30654; col G


At Carlisle yesterday, before Mr. Justice DAY, Hugh GRANT, age 21,
labourer, was charged with the wilful murder of Eleanor GRANT, his daughter,
at Workington, on the 3d of October last. Mr. HENRY and the Hon. A. D.
ELLIOT appeared for the prosecution; Mr. SHEE defended the prisoner. On the
night of Tuesday, the 3d of October last, about 11 p.m., the prisoner, who
was then partly drunk, left his father's house at Workington, and went to
the house of his father-in-law M'GOWAN, at Clay Flats, near Workington. On
entering the kitchen he found Mrs. M'GOWAN (his mother-in-law), Mary GRANT
(his wife), and John William and Eleanor (his two children), and other
relatives. The prisoner behaved very violently and knocked down and kicked
several of the party. Eventually he was pushed outside the house into the
yard at the back. A girl, Alice M'GOWAN, was then in the yard with the child
Eleanor in her arms. The prisoner struck Alice M'GOWAN in the face, and
taking the child out of her arms and holding it by the legs, or by its long
clothes, swung it three times round his head, dashing its head each time
against some boards that were near, and finally threw the child on to a
hen-house close by. It was found quite dead. The prisoner subsequently went
to his father's house and said, "God forgive me for what I have done. I can
prepare myself for the rope in the morning." After a powerful speech for the
defence, during which a juryman fainted and had to be removed from the court
for a short time, the learned Judge summed up. The jury, after 20 minutes'
consideration, returned a verdict of Wilful Murder, but recommended the
prisoner to mercy. Sentence of death was passed in the usual form.

At the same assizes, Anthony PROCTOR, a bobbin turner, was charged with the
manslaughter of Alexander AIKEN, at Caldbeck, on the 1st of July, 1882. Mr.
HENRY prosecuted and Mr. SHEE defended the prisoner. The deceased and the
prisoner were fellow-workers in a bobbin-turning mill. On the morning of the
1st of July, some dispute having arisen between them, AIKEN struck the
prisoner a blow in the face with his fist. The prisoner struck the deceased
with a clamp several times on the head. The deceased died on the 8th of
July, and the post-mortem examination showed that death was the result of
the pressure of pus on the membrane of the brain. He was a very quarrelsome
man. The jury returned a verdict of Not Guilty.


Here follows a report of the trial of Joseph BELL for attempted murder by
throwing a cartridge of tonite into a house - I transcribed this previously.


At Carlisle, on Tuesday, before Mr. Justice DAY, Thomas DAVIS, Robert DAVIS,
and John MAYNES were charged with having together with diverse other persons
at 12 at night on the 15th September last, and being armed with bludgeons,
entered the land of Henry FERGUSON, at Branthwaite, for the purpose of
taking game and rabbits. Mr. DICKINSON prosecuted; the prisoners were not
defended. The prisoners had a severe struggle with the prosecutor's keepers,
two of whom were severely hurt. The jury found the three prisoners Guilty.
Thomas DAVIS was sentenced to seven years' penal servitude, John MAYNES to
21 months' hard labour, and Robert DAVIS to six months' hard labour.