The Times, Tuesday, Jan 25, 1825; p. 3; col. B

A SMUGGLER SHOT. - On Monday and Tuesday last, an inquest was held, by
adjournment, at Rockliff-cross, about five miles from Carlisle, before Richard
LOWRY, Esq., Coroner, on view of the body (lying in an out-house there) of
Charles GILLESPIE, of Wigton, labourer, who was shot on the preceding Sunday, by
Edward FORSTER, officer of customs and excise, stationed in and about this city,
under circumstances fully explained in the evidence. George IRVING, of Mossband,
in the parish of Kirkandrews-upon-Esk, labourer, was the first witness examined.
He said, between seven and eight on Saturday night, Edward FORSTER, officer in
the customs and excise, having made a seizure of a quantity of whisky, called
upon him, in the King's name, for assistance, and, in consequence, witness
assisted him to carry the liquor to Rockliff-cross, where they put it into a
byre belonging to William IRVING. After remaining there three or four hours,
they went to Rockliff-marsh-end, on the look-out for smugglers, and they
continued in and about that place till day-light, when they went behind a bank
on the Marsh. After staying there till about ten, FORSTER took out a spyglass
and observed some persons coming over the water (from Scotland) in a boat, and
remarked to witness that he thought they were smugglers. They lay concealed
behind the bank, until the men came up, when FORSTER jumped over the bank, and
seized a man named SCOTT, who had upon him a quantity of whisky, which FORSTER
took; the men were armed with sticks, but SCOTT did not make much resistance.
The deceased dropped a quantity of whisky which he had in his possession upon
the ground, on which FORSTER desired witness to seize him, which he did, and the
deceased made no resistance. They then proceeded towards IRVING's house. Witness
was along with SCOTT, at a distance of between 40 and 50 yards before the
deceased and FORSTER, when SCOTT ran away and witness pursued; soon after he
heard a pistol fired, and in about a minute or less, he heard another pistol
fired; FORSTER called to witness, and he went to him and saw deceased lying upon
the ground, supporting himself upon his right arm. FORSTER was about nine or ten
yards from the deceased, wiping the blood from his head; and he told witness
that the deceased had almost killed him, and added that he believed he had shot
him. FORSTER then went to IRVING's house, and witness soon followed him. He
there had his head tied up with a handkerchief, through which witness saw the
blood gush, apparently flowing from the wounds he had received from deceased. He
did not afterwards see the boy who was in company with the two men. FORSTER and
witness soon went back to where the deceased was lying, and found him quite
dead, and they removed him to IRVING's stable. Other witnesses were examined,
and the Jury returned a verdict of "Wilful Murder against Edward FORSTER." The
coroner issued his warrant for FORSTER's apprehension and committal; but he has
hitherto kept aloof, and will not again be seen, probably, till the assizes in
March, when he will most likely surrender himself. - Carlisle Journal.