FRIGHTFUL ATTACK BY A BOAR AT FALKIRK. - On Saturday forenoon, as a man
named MILLS, who keeps a boar, war returning to town with the animal, and
when near the West Burn Bridge, it seems to have scented out or been
formerly aware that another was kept in a garden a few paces off the street.
It instantly became desperately excited, and wheeled off the road to get at
its opponent, but was courageously kept back and struck by the owner.

This only exasperated the furious brute the more, which turned suddenly
round, and with a desperate spring knocked the man down, seizing him at the
same time by the groin, and with its hugh[?] tusks, which were firmly
locked, dragged him rapidly along the ground.  He did not relinquish his
hold of the rope, however, and was seized by the hand and wrist.  Being in
the most imminent danger, the spectators shouted to him to allow the beast
to get away.  This he did, when breaking into the sty, a terrific combat
took place, both animals lacerating each other with great fury.

In the meantime poor MILLS was conveyed into a neighbouring house, and MR.
COUBROUGH, surgeon, being fortunately passing at the time, he obtained the
speedy assistance of two other medical men;  when it was found that though a
wound of nearly eight inches wide had been inflicted among the muscles, no
large artery was cut.  The whole upper part of the thigh was shockingly
mangled, and the injuries on the arm were of a dangerous nature.

The sufferer was conveyed home in the afternoon, and lies in a very
precarious state.  After great extertion, and no little risk, the two boars
were separated;  and the one which commenced the attack, which is of great
size and about five years old, was shot.  'Stirling Journal'.

about seven oclock, as a man and a woman were passing along the Irvine
river, beneath the Milton-bridge, which is about three miles from Kilmarnick
(on the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway), they observed a hat and a veil tied
on a parasol stuck in the ground, a short distance from the water's edge,
and on looking into the river, they perceived the bodies of a gentleman and
lady in comparatively shallow water, and about ten feet from the bank.

Notice was conveyed to MR. SMITH, farmer, at West Gatehead, the nearest
house to the spot, who, with his servants, came and assisted in raising the
bodies.  These were found to be attached by two hankerchiefs (red and white)
knotted together, and tied round the arm of each.

The bodies were removed to the house of MR. SMITH, and the persons searched,
in order to ascertain, if possible, the names and addresses of the deceased.

Both were well dressed and had the appearance of persons moving in a
respectable rank of life.  Inside of the gentleman's hat was an address
written thus:  "H. J. ATKINSON, Esq., King Street, Cheapside, London" close
to the maker's name G. TAYLOR, Birmingham.  This, there is every
probability, is not the name of the deceased, but no papers were found on
the person of either to afford any further clue.

The gentleman was dressed in a black coat, black vest, with under satin
vest, trousers of dark blue doeskin, with boots.  He was of a ruddy
complexion, about 5 feet 8 inches in height, grey hair, and apparently near
sixty years of age.

The lady was about the same age, attired in a black silk gown, a Dunstable
bonnet, a boa round her neck, black silk gloves, with a plain gold ring on
her finger.  In her pocket were a fruitknife, penknife, toothpick, and gold
pin, satin pincussion, an eighteenpenny bill stamp, and four postage stamps;
also two keys of a trunk, and a watch seal, with the word "Kate" engraved

On the gentleman were found a plain and rather old-fashioned watch, three
gold seals attached by a black silk riband, with the letter "B: engraven;  a
silver pencil case, a gold ring on his finger, 1s.  6d.  in silver, and
2-1/2d. in copper, in his pockets;  also a gold toothpick in an ivory case,
a pair of old steel spectacles, a two-bladed penknife, a pocket comb, a
steel pencil-holder, and a gold watch key.

On making inquiry in town, we understand that a lady and gentleman,
answering the above description, came on Tuesday eight days to reside at the
Commercial inn here, having arrived by railway from Glasgow.  They brought
two trunks, but gave no address.

They lived as man and wife, and wherever they have come from, they have kept
their names a strict secret.

From the small sum of money found on their persons, they appear to have
exhausted their means so far, but the valuables they possessed could have
afforded them the means of livelihood for some time longer.

It is probable, as the address indicates, that they belong to London.  The
keys found on their persons answer the trunks;  but the requisite authority
has not yet been obtained for opening these resceptacles.