FRIDAY, JANUARY 24.
Before J. COCKTON (chairman),  J. WILLIAM-
    John Hillary FEARON, coal miner, Crosby Villa,
John WATSON,  coal miner,  Dearham,  Robert
LITTLE,  india rubber merchant,  Maryport, and
John Dockray HOLLIDAY, coal miner, Ellenborough,
were granted vaccination exemption certificates.
After granting them, the Chairman said the Bench
had no power to refuse as the applicants did not
believe in vaccination.  At the same time he must
say that the Bench considered that at this time it
was highly dangerous not to have a child vaccinated.
The magistrates were of that opinion and had had
their own children vaccinated, and why the applicants
should claim exemption at this highly dangerous
time they failed to see.  He simply wished to state
his views, although it was perfectly lawful and leg-
itimate to apply for exemption.
    George LEWIS, coke drawer,  Fothergill,
pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly,
and also with assaulting P.C. REAY, while in
the execution of his duty, on the 11th inst.
    P.C. REAY said that at 8:30 on the 11th, he
was on duty at the Athenaeum Hall, and he
noticed a large crowd at the corner of High
Street and Senhouse Street.  He went there
and found defendant with his coat off challeng-
ing someone to fight.  He requested him sev-
eral times to go away, but he refused.  Witness
then took him into custody,  but prisoner
wrenched himself free, and struck out right
and left.  He struck witness in the chest with
his clenched fist, and afterwards kicked him.
Witness got the assistance of a civilian, and
took him to Crosby Street, where P.C. DODD
came to help him. Prisoner became very violent
at the Star corner, and kicked both witness
and P.C. DODD.  Witness was unable to go on
duty next day, owing to injuries he received
to his right hand.  Prisoner was preparing to
take off his shirt when witness took him into
custody.  He was mad drunk.
    Supt. GRAHAM said that at the last Govern-
ment inspection Sir Herbert CROFT had spoken
of these assaults on the police, and had author-
ised them to use his name in all cases brought
before the magistrates, and to ask them to inflict
a severe penalty.  The mere fact that a man got
drunk was no excuse for committing an assault
of this description.
    The Chairman said that as it was the first time
prisoner had been summoned for being drunk
and disorderly they would let him off with pay-
ment of the costs (6s). The other offence was
serious, as prisoner had done very serious in-
jury to the constable, and they fined him £1
and costs, or, in default, 14 days' imprisonment.
           A SOCIAL PROBLEM.
    Margaret SATTERTHWAITE, spinster,
Nelson Street, who did not appear, was
summoned for using obscene language on
the 7th inst.
    Sergt. WHITESIDE proved the offence,
which took place at 11:30 p.m. Some of
the neighbours had got up out of bed and
made complaints about her.
    The Chairman said the defendant had
been in gaol two or three time, and it did
not appear to be any good sending her
there as she appeared to be of weak intell-
igence and not responsible.
    Inspector NOTMAN said she was a woman
of idle habits, and was very often under the
influence of drink.
    The Chairman said she set a bad example
in the town.
    Superintendent GRAHAM said the work-
house would be the best place for her, but
unfortunately she could not be compelled to
remain there.
    The Chairman said he would like to treat
her in some way that would be beneficial to
    Superintendent GRAHAM said that if they
fined her it would keep her out of town.
    The Chairman:  She belongs to the town,
and it is hardly fair to send her to some other
    Fined 20s, including costs, or 14 days'
imprisonment with hard labour.
    Albert JOHNSTONE, mariner, Maryport, who
did not appear, was charged with committing a
nuisance on the 10th inst.
    P.C. SHAW proved the offence, which took
place in Nelson Street, at 9:30 p.m. Defendant
was under the influence of drink.
    Defendant wrote stating that he did not re-
member the offence.
    Fined 12s 6d, including costs.
               CRUELTY TO A MARE: A BAD
    John ALLISON, general dealer, Workington,
pleaded guilty to cruelly ill-treating a mare
by working same while in an unfit state, on
the 10th inst.
    P.C. RICHARDSON stated that about 12:45
p.m. he saw the defendant in Fleming Street
with a dealer's low cart drawn by a grey mare.
The animal had a sore about the size of a 5s
piece below the saddle, and also a wound six
inches long by four inches wide slightly healed
up, and without hair.  The knees were broken,
and blood and matter were oozing from them.
He requested him to unyoke, and he did so.
The pad produced had been placed under the
saddle and above the sore.
    P.C. BELL corroborated.  The sore was very
angry.  There was blood and matter on the pad.
The animal was in very poor condition, and weak
--in fact, a mere rattle of bones.
    Defendant said that when he left Workington,
the animal was all right, but with the saddle
moving about and the wet weather the hair had
come off.
    Supt. GRAHAM said the defendant had been
fined four times for similar offences; once for wrong
weights, and three times for drunkenness.
    Fined 60s, including costs, or one month's im-
    Jane Ann THOMPSON, 31, was charged with
stealing four stones of coal, the property of the
Flimby Colliery Company, at six p.m. on the 17t
    George JOHNSON, coal shipper for the Com-
pany, stated that they had the wagon No 63,019
standing at the Elizabeth Dock, on the date in
    P.C. RICHARDSON said he saw the woman
taking coal from the wagon.  She place the coal
in a bag she had with her.  He charged her with
stealing the coal.  She replied, "If you let me off
this time, I will never come back any more."
    Prisoner, who had been previously convicted
for a similar offence, was sent to prison for 14