The Genealogist - UK census, BMDs and more online

(Before C. VAUGHAN, Esq. (in the chair),  W. LEWTHWAITE, Esq.,  W. I. BARATT, Esq., and W. J. YARR, Esq.)
JAMES BREW was charged with keeping a dog without a licence.  P. C. BROWN stated that on the 3rd inst. he  called at the defendant's house and there was a terrier dog.  MRS. BREW, when asked, did not know if there was a licence for the dog, but MR. BREW, who then came into the house, said that he had not got a licence.  Witness then said that he would have to report him for keeping a dog without a licence.
MRS. BREW, who appeared at the Court, said they had a large family of children to keep, and therefore could not get enough money to pay for a licence.  They had not much money and plenty to do with it.
SUPT. HOPE:  Then there is less reason for keeping a dog.
MRS. BREW:  I know that, but if we had got the money we would have got out the licence before now.
A fine of 1s and costs was imposed.
MRS. BREW said she had no money to pay.
THE CHAIRMAN:  If you do not pay a warrant will be issued.
MRS. BREW:  Well, if I have to pay now, where am I to get the money ?  I am not going to leave the children hungry to take out a dog licence.
SUPT. HOPE:  A distress warrant will be issued, and your goods will be seized.
A week was allowed in whcih to make the payment.
(Before C. VAUGHAN, Esq. (in the chair),  W. LEWTHWAITE, Esq.,  W. I. BARRATT, Esq., and W. J. YARR, Esq.)
MARY JANE BURNS was charged with using abusive and foul language in the public street.
SERGT. HASTWELL stated that at two p.m. on the 8th inst., the defendant was in Market-street making use of violent and abusive language.  A crowd of people had congregated, and there was a good deal of difficulty in getting the defendant away.  The language she was using was very filthy.
DEFENDANT:  How many people were there ?
 - Witness there was a crowd of people.
Was there anyone about ? - I heard you shouting at MRS. SAGE.
Was there no one besides MRS. SAGE ? - The people were crowding up, and there was great difficulty in getting you away.
Tell the magistrates what the row was about ?  - Something about your son and MRS. SAGE'S daughter.
DEFENDANT:  He is the only one I have to support me, and they keep him in till 1.30.
THE CLERK;  We have nothing to do with that.
DEFENDANT:  Why was not MRS. SAGE summoned as well as me ?  There were three again one.  I said I would shoot the boy sooner than he should marry her.
THE CLERK:  Have you got any witnesses? - No, I am one by myself.
THE CHAIRMAN:  You will be fined 2s 6d and costs.
DEFENDANT:  Well, gentlemen, I have no money.  There is only one working, and he has been keeping his money lately.
The alternative was 14 days, a fortnight being allowed to pay the fine.
DEFENDANT:  I will be better able to go in that time.
(Before C. VAUGHAN, Esq. (in the chair),  W. LEWTHWAITE, Esq.,  W. I. BARRATT, Esq., and W. J. YARR, Esq.)
MR. J. J. CAIN applied for a theatrical licence for the Co-operative Hall, Millom, the sureties being himself, and MESSRS J. H. SKEATE and J. HOCKADAY.  The licence was granted.
JOHN ATKINSON was summoned to show cause why he should not contribute towards the maintenance of his mother.
HENRY FRANKLAND FOX, relieving officer, stated that he was directed by the Guardians to take proceedings against the defendant.
The defendant was a banker at Hodbarrow, and certificates as to wages were produced, from which it appeared that defendant and his son were in receipt of £2 10s per week.
Though it  was stated that MRS. ATKINSON had five sons, it was alleged that none of the others were in a position to contribute anything.
An order for 1s 6d a week and costs was made.
MR. WILSON BUTLER applied for the transfer of the licence of the Iron Works Hotel from the late DANIEL MORGAN to his widow, MRS. ELIZABETH MORGAN.  The police having no objection the transfer was granted, subject to the agreements entered into being satisfactory to the Bench.
On the same terms the licence of the King of Prussia was granted to MRS. MARY ANNE WATSON, widow of the late MR. WATSON. 
The agreements in each case were retained for perusal, the Chairman suggesting that in all future cases the terms of agreement should be deposited with the Clerk in order that time might be saved by enabling him to have an opportunity of perusing them before the application was made.
MR. BUTLER also applied for an occasional licence for the 8th of September on the occasion of the annual sheep fair and sports.
- An extension was also applied for from ten a.m. till two p.m.
Both were granted.
(Before C. VAUGHAN, Esq. (in the chair),  W. LEWTHWAITE, Esq.,  W. I. BARRATT, Esq., and W. J. YARR, Esq.)
MR. THOMPSON, managing director of the Company he represented, applied for the permission of the Bench to sanction certain alterations which they proposed to make to the Devonshire Hotel.  This property had been recently purchased, and they proposed to make alterations, whch chiefly consisted in removing the vaults from the front to the side, and making the present vaults into a smoke-room and a news-room.  It was also proposed to add an additional door for a jug and bottle department.  There were to be considerable improvements also to be made for the tenant, including bath, pantry, &c.
SUPT. HOPE said he had inspected the premises, and had taken the plan with him when he visited them.  He opposed the application on the ground that the drinking facilities would be largely increased, by the proposed alterations.  At the present time there was a stable for the accommodation of persons who needed to put up a horse.  This was a proper thing, but it was intended to do away with the stable.  The drinking facilities would be very largely increased indeed.  I may say that is my opinion.
MR. BARRATT:  That the drinking facilities would be increased.
SUPT. HOPE:  There are also several houses in the immediate vicinity - public-houses of fairly large dimensions, so that they might be termed hotels.  On those grounds he opposed the application.
MR. THOMPSON said they considered a jug and bottle department necessary for the place so that women might get their house drink without coming in the way of the ordinary customers.  With regard to the increased drinking facilities he admitted that the vaults would be larger than the ones now in use, but he pointed out that if the bottle department was left out, the increase would be only 84 feet.
He admitted that it looked bigger on the plan than it actually was.  With regard to the stable, it had been in a tumble down condition for some time, and it was years since there was a horse in it.
THE CHAIRMAN:  The Bench have decided to decline the application.
MR. THOMPSON:  Very well.  I will submit plans and try to meet with the approval of the SUPT.
(Before C. VAUGHAN, Esq. (in the chair),  W. LEWTHWAITE, Esq.,  W. I. BARRATT, Esq., and W. J. YARR, Esq.)
ARTHUR and JOHN OVINGTON, butchers, Broughton, were charged with working a horse in an unfit condition.
SUPT. HOPE stated that the case occurred in Ulpha on the 2nd August.  The defendant was in the Ulpha district with a butcher's cart when his mare was noticed by P.C. TWEEDLE to be suffering from wounds.
P.C. TWEEDLE stated that on the 2nd August he saw defendant near Dunnerdale Bridge.  He had a mare attached to a butcher's cart.  He noticed that there was something wrong with the mare as she took the rise of the bridge, and after the defendant had got over the bridge, an examination of the mare showed that it was suffering frm an old wound under the saddle girth.
He took a piece of rag off on which there was blood and matter.  On further examination he found two wounds under the collar.  These sores were in a raw state, and were discharging inside the collar.
Witness asked the defendant how he accounted for working a mare whilst in such a state, and he said, "We knew the mare was sore, as we have been in the habit of bathing her in salt and water for some time."  She had done nothing since Saturday last, and previous to that, the mare had done nothing for six weeks, on account of the sores and flies.  Witness then told him that the mare was not fit to work, and he then went up the lane a few yards, borrowed another horse, and proceeded on his work. 
P.C. REYNOLDS, of the Lancashire police, was with him at the time.  P.C. REYNOLDS corroborated the evidence that was given by the last witness.
OVINGTON explained that the wound had been produced by warbles as he was going over Broughton Fell.  After he met the policeman, he had his horse taken out, and another yoked to the cart.  If the horse had been so bad as the officer represented, he would never have got over Broughton Moors.
The defendant was fined £1 4s 3d, and his brother JOHN OVINGTON (the owner of the animal) £1 0s 6d.
(Before C. VAUGHAN, Esq. (in the chair),  W. LEWTHWAITE, Esq.,  W. I. BARRATT, Esq., and W. J. YARR, Esq.)
MARY EVANS was summoned for committing an assault on HANNAH BOWMAN.  Both women are neighbours residing at Borwick Rails.  One day during the past week, according to MRS. BOWMAN's tale, she was going into MRS. COWARD's shop, which was only four doors away.
There had been a good many at the door as there was a monkey there and there was a crowd of children about.
MRS. EVANS has a little girl, and that little girl ran into the shop and told her mother that MRS. BOWMAN had said that her boy had to hit the girl.  As she was going into the shop, MRS. EVANS came and spat in MRS. BOWMAN's face, and doubled her fist and hit her in the eye.
"You see," said MRS. BOWMAN to the Bench "that I have a black eye."
MRS. EVANS then knocked the complainant up again the wall, and putting her face in front of her said, "Hit me ye b______."
To this, MRS. BOWMAN replied, "I will not demean myself by hitting such like".  MRS. EVANS then spat at complainant again and also hit her.
Complainant had no witness to produce.  She alleged that they were all down on her, and she wanted protection for herself and her children.
MARY EVANS gave her version of the proceedings.  Her little girl told her that the complainant had struck her.  She had done so the previous Tuesday.  (COMPLAINANT:  That's a lie.)  The witness came out of the shop, the complainant started to bully her and knocked half a lb. of bacon out of her hand.  She also shoved her into the street.
This was all done before defendant struck at complainant.  When she threatened to throw a bottle at witness, then she hit her.  MRS. COWARD then came round and parted them.
MAGGIE EVANS, a girl of 15, gave evidence corroborating her mother's statement.
THE CLERK (to the Complainant):  Would you like to ask this witness any question?
COMPLAINANT:  No, sir, I would not.
The case was dismissed, each side having to pay their own costs.