DIED IN BATH
Mrs. Josephine LEGG, aged 20 of College Street, Islington, was overcome by the fumes of a gas heating stove while taking a bath on Saturday, and died.
SALE OF THE WRECK OF THE
On Tuesday afternoon, Messrs. JACKSON and MURRAY, auctioneers, Whitehaven, sold by auction on the beach near the Lonsdale furnaces, at Whitehaven, the wreck of the barque, “Bengal,” which came ashore in the storm on Wednesday night, the 15th inst.
There was a large company present, including Mr. WILSON, ship-broker, New Lowther Street, Whitehaven, who attended on behalf of the owners.
The wrecked barque as she lay on the beach was sold for £61 to Mr. Henry CARTMELL, of Whitehaven. The tow rope was sold for £31 to Mr. Charles PLATER. Good prices were obtained for the remainder of the salved gear, bidding being brisk throughout.
VISIT TO WHITEHAVEN, OCTOBER 30.
Having made important appointments with patients, Mr. ISON, oculist and aorist, of Leeds, will attend the Globe Hotel, Whitehaven, on Thursday, October 30. Hours 11 to 6. And the george Hotel, Penrith, on Saturday November 8. Hours 11-30 to 6.
Sufferers from failing eyesight or hearing should avail themselves of the opportunity of consultation. Mr. ISON treats successfully all diseases of the eye and ear without operation. Artificial eyes fitted. Spectacle and eye preservers for all cases of weak sight and defective vision. All letters to be addressed to 71 Great George Street, London.