FIRE. - A fire occurred in Berkley Court, Duke Street in this town on Sunday
evening, July 11, which at one time threatened an extensive destruction to
surrounding buildings. The fire originated in a foul chimney, and was with great
difficulty prevented from communicating with a stable and hay loft on one side
and a cabinet maker's workshop on the other. In the moment of alarm, which
danger appeared most threatening the whole of a large quantity of hay & straw
was actively removed, - a precaution, however, which eventually proved
unnecessary, as the police with their apparatus were presently on the spot and an
opening of a deluge of water was poured into the building that by steady
perseverance the fire was soon subdued.