Article Index

                       SATURDAY AFTERNOON.
                 Part 1
    On Thursday at the Workington Police-court (before M. FALCON, W. THOMPSON, and R. R. THOMPSON. Esqrs.), Maynard James HARRISON, 17 years of age, was brought up on remand on the charge of having on or about the 1st of December last, wilfully murdered Lucy SANDS, 16 years of age, at the North-side, Workington. Superintendent TAYLOR was also present. The prisoner was placed in the dock at five minutes past eleven.
    Superintendent BIRD said, before proceeding with the inquiry, there was a circumstance he wished to refer to. It was  a matter connected with the inquiry, and it was a statement which appeared in a Cockermouth paper, in it's issue of the 1st of April, where the editor said in the paper - and it had reference to this inquiry, "What the police may fish out before next Thursday, I do not know, but, so far, there is not sufficient evidence on which to hang a dog." Pending this very serious inquiry, he thought such remarks getting into the papers had a strong tendency to defeat the ends of justice.
    The Chairman: No doubt they have Mr. BIRD. I read it myself, and was shocked at it at the time.
    Margaret CRANNIE was the first witness called, and deposed: -I remember now it was the night of the 1st December on which I, along with Jane SHANNON and Lucy SANDS, was looking at   the furnaces. We were looking at the furnaces when the prisoner came across to us. Went across on the following Friday night and met Jim FALCON and Bobby CARRUTHERS. They came on before us to Workington. Shortly after leaving them we turned back home again, and afterwards went to "Cheap John's." I think we saw the prisoner there. When the prisoner left "Cheap John's" we followed him down Finkle-street towards Vulcan's-lane. The prisoner then took Janey down the lane leading towards the Bowling-green, and Janey said, "Don't go away Maggie." Janey did not seem to be afraid of him at all. Followed them a bit and kept calling to Janey "Come on," The prisoner replied, "Go on you long ghost of misery." Did not go, and he threatened to kick me. On Saturday after I say MAYNARD, in Pow-street, and I said "AYNARD, when have you seen anything of Lucy SANDS at  the North-side?" Do not know what answer he gave. Further up the street I said, "What have you made of Lucy SANDS at the North-side, and he said, "Go to the devil and see." On going down the Hall Brow towards the Railway Station on the day the body was found, I said, "I wonder if it is really Lucy SANDS;" and the prisoner said, "Yes, it is her sure enough, poor b-----r." I have no recollection of saying "MAYNARD, it is you who have done it."  I said it was an awful thing about Lucy SANDS and he said, "Whoever has done it ought to swing for it."
    By Mr. PAISLEY: MAYNARD and I often had a quarrel. Remembered at the last inquiry about saying to the prisoner on the Hall Brow, "I wonder if it is Lucy SANDS," but did not think it necessary to tell that. Told the Bench that I had told all I knew. I have seen Superintendents BIRD and TAYLOR since last court day. I was down here last night, and I was down one night before too. The first time I saw Insepctors DODD and SMITH. They read me over the evidence I had given and took down what I then said.
    Jane SHANNON deposed: After coming out of the garden I found CRANNIE standing outside of the door, and said to her, "What has become of Lucy?" She said, "She has gone round the offices." Nothing more was said about Lucy. I went into Vulcan's-lane with the prisoner on the following Friday night. I did not go willingly, and he pulled me away from Margaret CRANNIE. Mary LAWSON had left then. I asked CRANNIE to stand by because I did not want to go with him. There was no special reason why I did not want to go with him. I wanted to go with the other girls. CRANNIE left us and came up by Vulcan's -lane. I came out of the lane by the same way as CRANNIE did about a quarter of an hour later, and we went down to the Bowling-green-lane and out by the wicket near Speedwell-lane, and the prisoner left me, and went across the street to Miss. SCOTT. During our walk I do not remember that we had any talk about Lucy. He was not rough with me that night except in pulling me away from Margaret CRANNIE. He was not rough with me near the Bowling-green. The conversation we had in the garden after Margaret CRANNIE left could have been heard over the wall I think.
By Mr. PAISLEY: Was down the road near Annie Pit with the prisoner on the same night and was not afraid of him. At the garden gate MAYNARD said, "See; Lucy is going down," and CRANNIE said, "Let her go. We can go home ourselves." I don't think I looked down the road when the prisoner said Lucy was going. We stood talking about a quarter of an hour after that. The prisoner offered to set us home, and Margaret CRANNIE said we could go quicker ourselves.
    William GRANT deposed: I am an engine fitter working at Eskett iron mines. In the month of December last I was working for the Old Company at the North-side, and living there. During that month I had a daughter ill at Cockermouth. On the 21st December I went up to Cockermouth by the six o'clock train and met my wife there. Came down with her to Workington by the last train. It would be nearly ten o'clock when we got to the station, as the train was twenty-five minutes late. On arriving at the station we started off home immediately, and when we got past the Cleator and Workington Railway bridge, and near to the foot bridge, I heard a man say, "Good evening." He said it was a dark dull road. The man certainly came from the direction of the foot bridge. The man was three or four yards from the wicket gate when I first saw him. He said it was a "dark dull road," and he was glad he had got company, and that many a one had got badly used on that road, or words to that effect. My "missus" made reference to a man having been badly used on that road. Cannot say that I caught every word that he said. Do not remembering hearing her say who the man was that was badly used. The man then said there had been a young woman badly used by two men, and a man came up at the time and the man ran away across the fields, and had taken a parcel and boots. We were getting on towards the cottages when the conversation ended, but it was beside the ghyll the man said it was just up there were the woman was abused. I did not pay much heed to the conversation; but my wife and the man chatted together. When I got to the Buck Cottages I called on my wife to come on. The man said "good night," just as I called on my wife and I said "good night.' I never looked round after that. On the following night I went to meet my wife coming from Cockermouth. The train was late, but not so late as it was on the night before. We started for home immediately after the arrival of the train. At the same place as the previous evening we met a man who said, "Good evening, Mr. GRANT; it was the same man we had met on the previous evening.....
To be continued~