The Genealogist - UK census, BMDs and more online

          KESWICK MAN
    The body of Joseph ABBOTT, the Keswick septnagenarian retired farmer, who had been missing for three weeks, was found in Crow Park Bay, Lake Derwentwater, on Monday morning. He was grasping his walking stick.
    Mr. ABBOTT was a member of a well known Lakeland farming family, and was a native of Little Langdale, but was brought up at St. John's-in-the-Vale. For nearly forty years he was a sheep farmer in Australia, and retired to Keswick about twenty years ago when he was a bachelor, and a well known member of the Keswick Conservative Club.
    The day after he disappeared his cap was found in the lake.
    The inquest was held at Keswick police Station yesterday afternoon, by the Coroner for West Cumberland, Col. D. J. MASON.
    Mrs. PENRICE, Little Hills, Keswick, said that Mr. ABBOTT had lodged with her for about three years. He was a very retiring man, but had never threatened to take his life. He had not been well for the past twelve months.
    Joseph SPARK, boatman, Keswick, said that on the morning of Tuesday, March 22nd, he found a cap floating in his bay, No. 6, at the Boatlandings. The water at the end of his landing would then be about six feet deep, but it was the dry time then and it would now be about nine feet. Yesterday morning Mr. TOWERS drew his attention to something floating in Crow Park Bay, and on going out he found it was the body of Mr. ABBOTT.
    Dr. CRAWFORD, sen., who made a postmortem examination, said it appeared to be a clear case of drowning. One evidence of this was the rigidity  with which he was grasping his walking stick.
    John RIGG, of Derwentwater Palce, Keswick, said that at about half past nine on Monday night, March 21st, he was coming away from Derwentwater when he met ABBOTT on the top of the Brow leading down to the lake. He stopped and spoke to him, and ABBOTT told him he was coming for a little walk and appeared to be in the best of spirits. He walked quite steadily.
    The Coroner said that there was no evidence of any intention to commit suicide, and returned an open verdict of "Found Drowned."
    Inspector GRAHAM thanked the unemployed and others who helped the police to search and drag the lake. Some of them, he added, had watched all night, and all helped freely and had given a lot of time to it.
    The Coroner endorsed the thanks on behalf of the county, and said that in these cases he always found that there were plenty of people willing to help.